Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My card is not getting its recommended performance!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Like mentioned above, a 500 to 700w PSU from a good quality brand, with enough on the +12v rail, is all you need.

For example, this Antec has 3 +12v rails of 18a each, is 500w total and is 90 bucks. Antec makes a good solid PSU and I would consider them one of the better brands.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371002

I would consider that PSU the absolute minimum choice, but it may not be enough if you upgrade your CPU, or add more components or SLI your video card later.

For a little bit of future proofing you may want to go even bigger.

This one is twice the price but is 750w, premium brand, is certified for dual 8800GTX cards in SLI and has a good efficiency rating.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703008

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That looks pretty good to me Adebisi. I don't think that I will go SLI because my motherboard can't but I may upgrade my processor in the future if I need to. So if I were to upgrade to a core 2 duo and just have one 8800 GTS, how many amps of +12V should I have? Like 55A of +12V like in Adebisi's first suggested PSU. I am looking at PSUs on Newegg and their are too many to chose from. Could you guys also list some important features other then the 12V rails that I should look for. Like what are some good manufacturers that are good, other then Antec?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
30A or more for the GTS.
Silverstone is about the best, but with it comes a price. If you dont plan on getting SLI then 36-38A should be more then enough for your needs.
James

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I agree. Silverstone has a great rep. PC Power and Cooling and Antec I would also consider premium or at least highly dependable.

Look for 35A (which even a 500w can achieve and gives you plenty of breathing room) on the +12v rail total, and a >80% efficiency. Not much matters aside from that. Just be sure it has the 20/24 pin ATX mobo connector, and the 4/8 pin aux mobo connector and you will pretty much have compatibility with any atx mobo on the market.

You will want at least two PCI-E ends on the power cables but both those I quoted have at least that many. Im not even sure the 8800GTS needs 2...

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
My 8800gts runs perfect with a Hyper 580 watt PSU. Ordered it from NewEgg :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
MarkN, glade your happy with your purchase, but unless your going to contribute to a thread don't post.

Actually there is more that matters such as how much the rails fluctuate.

The GTS only requires one 2x3 pin.

I also recommend >80% because it'll be cooler thus having less of a strain on the overall case and slower spinning fans because it requires less cooling.

James

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Dude, last time I checked it was a free country, so I'd shut my trap if I was you, I can post anything I want. He was made a comment about his PSU I believe, and my post was related to that.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: I'm having an off day, sorry about that. But please never tell me to shut me trap.
James

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
No problem, 2 days ago I spent 12hrs rebuilding a new hard drive. I can relate. Have a good one. And thanks for the help you've given me in the past. :whistling:

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok I have narrowed it down to two PSUs. Which one should I get? http://www.newegg.co...1230113789 4026 They are both made by Rosewill, is that a good PSU manufacture or not? Also I just want to double check on the requirements. It should be 20+4Pin and ATX12V based on my motherboard here http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170 right?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really don't like either one of those PSU's at all, there is a reason why they are cheap.
I recommend the one that was already mentioned by the guy on the top of the page, to lazy to write a name.....
Yup your right it needs to be 20+4 pin or a 24pin, it's basically the same thing. Only the 20+4pin will fit in a 20 pin socket and a 24pin socket.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 May 2007 - 09:50 PM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I know alot of you are Antec fans but the PSU I mentioned has more power and gets better ratings.. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817128002 And is SLI ready...it is also very quiet.

Edited by MarkN, 29 May 2007 - 03:29 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I love Hiper PSUs but they arent as reliable as Antecs the warranties arent so long or as good and in terms of power output they can run a little hotter than most would like which is why they are cheap but pretty good for an enthusiast. But overall power output is kinda low and they have reduced there range substantially recently they make a few good PSUs now. SLI isnt a factor really unless you have spent more on monitors than you have on the rest of the system otherwise its just a waste of money and electricity.

PS MarkN don't be snippy with the the members you may live in a free country but this isn't a free forum you most definitely cant say whatever you like, two wrongs dont make a right besides just saying i have this PSU and its nice isn't the most constructive of things if you do contribute do it right , mention why its good how much it costs etc. etc. James was a bit OTT but not so much he earned that response.

Edited by warriorscot, 29 May 2007 - 10:33 AM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
James 8970's last reply was no more constructive than mine."I really don't like either one of those PSU's at all, there is a reason why they are cheap.
I recommend the one that was already mentioned by the guy on the top of the page, to lazy to write a name.....
Yup your right it needs to be 20+4 pin or a 24pin, it's basically the same thing. Only the 20+4pin will fit in a 20 pin socket and a 24pin socket".
James. And you just told me to "mention why its good how much it costs" why don't you tell James that? Good God people, quit being hypocrits.... P.S. Freedom of speech is in the Contsitution.... :whistling:

Edited by MarkN, 29 May 2007 - 11:16 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok I will go futher into detail.
-Rails fulctuate to much which will resolut in shorter lifespan of compentents.
-Not a reliable brand name
-Efficiancy is very low resulting in a need of better cooling, thus it will be louder.

I was backing up what was already said by another member and awnsering his question, thus a reason to post. I was only on the computer for a brief moment so I just said the user at the top of the page because I didnt have enough time to scrol back and forth to check that I had the name right.

There is no need to add costs, the link will describe all(unless your posting a build, less time required to annalize if you want to cut back on costs).

What warriorscot was getting at was that there is no need to be rude on these forums and it will not be tolerated. I have already appologized for being snippy now lets move on as if nothing had happend. Only post in this thread if your going to contribute now, lets forget what was a said a couple posts back and imagin as if it never even happend. Lets end this here before this gets out of hand.

James :whistling:

Edited by james_8970, 29 May 2007 - 11:43 AM.