Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Trouble

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I'm having a problem with IE6. I was going to use the add\remove thingy in the control panel to repair it but IE isn't listed in it anywhere.

Can someone tell me how to fix or repair IE? I read the pinned fix at the top of this forum, however, as I only have the recovery disks and not the setup disks for my PC I can't use either of the two methods listed there.

Thanks,
Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 24 May 2007 - 11:21 PM.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
first you might wanna try a windows system restore and restore your computer to a date before the IE problems. if that doesn't work try to download IE6(search google) and if it gives you the "Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue." Error, goto This Microsoft webpage and try the edit registry fix to allow you to install it. But only if your comfortable editing windows registry.

good luck

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you're looking for IE, it is probably under Windows Components in the Add/Remove Programs. Takes awhile to populate the menu. You can also download and install IE 6 SP 1 again if you wish.

Ron

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi ViprXX,

Thanks for the reply. I'll leave anything that has to do with editing the registry till last because unless someone can walk me through it step by step I get real queasy even thinking about it.

Hi Major Payne,

Thanks for jogging my brain cells, That's exactly where that little bugger was hiding. Now I need to ask what size that file is supposed to be because mime says 0.0MB and that doesn't sound right to me.

And the only option that I see is to install... there isn't any other option that I see. I mean there isn't anything that says repair or uninstall. Am I in the right place?

Thanks for the help guys.

Wendy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Probably not in the right place. LOL I have IE 7.0 and it is listed in the Add/Remove Programs window and not the Windows Components. It's under Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 so maybe you didn't scroll far enough. I checked where I mentioned for you to check and mine said file size was 0.0 too. Went back and looked very carefully and came across the listing for IE. Here's some info from M$ on uninstalling IE6:

How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Hope these help you out.

Ron

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Major Payne,

Thanks for the help. The problem has now been resolved... I used my recovery disks and re-did my system.

Thanks,
Wendy