Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems waking from standby mode - no video

• Please log in to reply

jaimev

jaimev

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My wife's computer has problems waking up from standby mode. The problem has been happening for the last 3 months, but prior to that, since Jun 2004 when the computer was bought, things have been fine.

When in standby, the computer is completely silent - no fan, no hard disk drive noise, no video. Just a blinking power light. Which is what I expect.

When I press the power button to wake up the computer, I hear the fans kick on, the hard drives spin up, but there is no video. I've set the BIOS to run VGA POST after S3 Standby resume, and I do see a one line message on the monitor indicating that happened, but no Windows desktop appears. There's no video at all.

After power on, I can do things like open the open the CD rom tray and see disk activity occur. Same with inserting a floppy. But I try pinging the PC from a Mac on the same network and it doesn't respond.

Along with this problem. this PC has a narcolepsy issue. Even though I set the Power Option set to *never* go into standby mode, every once in a while, the machine will suddenly go to standby mode, and once there, it's as good as having shutdown. And when it goes into standby mode, the system is not being stressed - usually IE and/or Word is running.

Machine details: Windows XP Pro (SP2). Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard. intel P4 3.0 Ghz, ATI All in wonder 9600XT graphics card. 2 IDE hard drives, and 1 sata drive. a DVD drive, ZIP drive. Enermax Noisetaker 425W power supply. Assembled by Monarch computer almost 3 years ago. I've run several virus checks (AOL Active virus shield, Windows Defender, onlne House Call), and adware check (SpyBot S&D) all clean.

I've run Prime95 for a few hours to check if it was a CPU related issue, but the system ran fine without suddenly going into standby. I've run a video card stress test for 2 hours and there were no problems. Ran Memtest86+ for several hours, (booting from the Ultimate Boot CD) no problems.

Could this be a power supply issue? We did add a SATA drive several months prior to when this problem started to occur, so could the power supply be on the brink of being overstressed? Or could this be a video card issue? Or could this be a software issue?

Advanced thanks for any suggestions on what else I can do to narrow down the cause of this problem.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
im thinking video card about the only work around is to uncheck the enable hibernation setting in your power options. do you have your ethernet card enabled to wake on lan? theres a fix in the works but you have to call microsoft to get it. :whistling: