Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to CSS

• Please log in to reply

Liadan

Liadan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
I've been using FrontPage 2003 for awhile, and I've used an old version of Dreamweaver in the past. I want to make my pages with CSS now. What I want to know is do you recommend that I use a program (like Dreamweaver or Expression Web) or would I be better off just to learn the CSS codes myself and type them in? I downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver CS3, and I just can't seem to wrap my brain around it (I've watched the tutorial videos & I'm still lost). I've seen several sites with great CSS code tutorials, and it makes more sense to me. However, I like the visual aspect of FrontPage, where I can see it as I work, rather than looking at code. Can you recommend what's best-- typing in CSS codes, using Dreamweaver, or using Expression Web?

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Define best.

By best do you mean "easiest"?

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh... yeah, I guess I meant the easiest. :whistling: I need CSS for dummies, basically.

Thanks

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Once you understand the idea behind CSS and get the general hang of how it works, its really no more difficult than HTML. Its just a different way of thinking.

Actually, when you get into it, CSS makes HTML coding easier because you don't have to remember what color you made that former font or things like that.

The easiest way will be to find a program to do it for you. The best way will be for you to learn CSS and write it yourself using a text editor. By best, I mean understood by all browsers, looks like you want it to, loads faster, etc...

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
And I thought you were going to say the best option was the most expensive one (i.e. Dreamweaver). :whistling:

You've convinced me to at least try to learn to write the code myself. For some reason, the codes are making more sense to me than Dreamweaver does (which is a frustration). Maybe I'm weird, I don't know. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Feel free to come back and ask if you get stuck.

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, I've been reading all about CSS and I have another question.
I understand that you can use an external style sheet to change the style of all of the pages on your site, if you want. What I can't figure out... Let's say I have a graphic that I want on every page of the site, but it's something I might want to change later. Can the graphic be in an external style sheet, or do I have to put the graphic on every html page? So, if I were to change that graphic, would I be able to change one style sheet, or would I have to change and upload every single webpage?

Same question for links that I want on every page, e.g. a list of links that go to other pages on the same site. Suppose I wanted to change one of those links or add one to every page. Can that be done in an external style sheet, or would I have to change & upload every single webpage?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You sound just like a friend of mine that I have been teaching css to.

You maybe able to set the image as a background-image:url(image.png); and then yes, you would be able to easily change it.

But no you can't do the same with links. Since you can insert a link tag with css. You might want to look into useing PHP includes. Which bacsicly means you have to rename your pages as .php or set .html files to be treated as PHP. And then put this in them.

<?php
include('menu.php");
?>

That will get the contents of the menu.php and insert it into the current file.
I take it a whole log further on my site, http://codefisher.org/ by useing variables to change the page's title and then put every thing except the pages content in other files.

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Michael,

The background image thing worked -- really neat!!
For the time being, I'm not going to worry about the links. I don't think I can handle learning something else (PHP). My mind is already blown by CSS. :whistling:

Thanks so much!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Good to know your happy with the image :whistling:

I never said learn php, that would take months. But a little copy and paste is easy, and saves time in the long run.

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, you're right-- good idea to copy and paste. BTW, I've bookmarked your site to read the CSS tutorials & other things.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I should finish them, but I have to find the time. I have got so many other things going.