Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network connection problem upgrading to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just upgraded to XP Pro from 2000 Pro - I've been avoiding it to avoid possible problems with the installation. When XP Pro was upgrading the OS, I got a dialog box asking for file "e100b325.sys" and it asked me to install from a cd or floppy. I didn't have either that I knew of, and eventually just closed the box. Once the machine rebooted, I got a "Found New Hardware" dialog box for "Intel Pro/100VE Network Connection." I went to the Intel website and downloaded the "PRO2KXP" driver installation program and ran it. It seemed to take care of the missing file, but I can't seem to connect to the internet using either an ethernet connection or my wireless pc card. Can you please offer some help? I'm not the most tech savvy guy, so some help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok lets try the easiest first. unplug the power for your modem if it has a battery take that out as well. 20 seconds should work.plug it all back in an lets see if it reset your ip address we'll just focus on your ethernet for now

Edited by krmooo, 25 May 2007 - 06:26 PM.

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When using my wireless connection, my neighbor lets me jump on his wireless access. He isn't home, and I can't get into his apartment to mess with the router. I don't have a wired ethernet connection at home to try - I could try going to another friend's apartment if I need to try that.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
so as of right now you dont have internet access correct?

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm on slow as molasses dial-up.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
are there any wireless networks in range?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you have a land line correct?

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
If it matters, I have a Linksys pc wireless card. It detects a 42% signal from my neighbor, but I get a message saying "no association with access point" right now when I try to connect

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a phone land line, but no ethernet hard wire connection.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well were kinda at a stand still then its kinda hard to configure anything when theres nothing to configure too, your wireless seems to getting the jop done and your on here so its not that bad :whistling:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
perhaps you could find a hot spot in your area

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My wireless won't connect - it detects the network, but I can't jump on it. I'm currently connected through dial-up. It's woefully slow and sad.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
yes i remember those days :whistling:

notechknowledge

notechknowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Do you have think it would have something to do with the upgrade process, or with XP itself? I was able to connect to this wireless point just before I installed the upgrade.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
lets open up your internet connections an right click on your wireless connection open up the properties. in the connect using box whats listed? is it your intel pro wireless?