Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i reinstalled xp

• Please log in to reply

Fay

Fay

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
but afterward when i go to my computer and in the program file of c drive all my programs are still there
but i couldnt find them in the start menu and control panel. why?i thought if i reinstall xp everything shoudl be gone

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Off hand I would say you reinstalled over the existing XP, and you did not do a "new" install.

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
what should i do to get rid of the other one?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Here is a good Guide for reinstalling with a clean install.

Windows reinstall

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
meaning reinstall xp again?

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i cant reboot from the cd, when i insert the cd and reboot it, my computer starts up as it usually does..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So what exactly is it you are trying to do? Are you trying to completely re-install XP and have it delete all your files/programs/settings and start fresh? This is what I can gather, but you haven't explicitly told us. Please can you give us the details of what you are trying to achieve, then we can make a bit more sense of it and help you achieve that goal. If we have misunderstood you, we could completely give you the wrong information, which wouldn't be good :whistling:

Anyway, to boot from a cd, check in the BIOS (basic input-output system), you should find a menu for "boot order" or something similarly named. Make sure you have it check the optical drive (your cd or dvd drive) before booting from the hard drive.

If you're not sure about how to access the BIOS, as soon as you start your computer you should get either a picture or a heap of writing on your screen - this is called a POST (power on self test). Here you can press a key on the keyboard to access your computers settings. For information on which key to press, you can visit <http://www.michaelst...nufacturer.htm>

If your optical drive is already set to be checked before the hard drive, it could be a different problem. Let us know so we know what's happening...

Cheers.

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i want to completely re-install XP. I did access the BIOS and put the cd drive before the hard drive, but it still doesnt work. I restart the computer about 20 times...

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the Boot Priority set to?

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE
HARD DRIVE
FLOPPY DISKETTET DRIVE
NETWORK ADAPTOR

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The boot priority is correct.

1. Are you using a bootable CD, such as the OS CD?
2. If you go to windows explorer with a CD in the drive, can you open the CD?

The problem could be a bad cable, or a bad drive, non boottable CD.

EDIT: How were you able to re-install XP on your first post?

Edited by 123Runner, 29 May 2007 - 09:07 AM.

Fay

Fay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
the first time i did it, i didnt know i have to boot from the cd so i just opened my pc and put the cd in, then i click on the cd. it install something on my pc and it rebooted my pc, and i just follow along...

i think it is a bootable cd cuz the user manual said to boot from the cd too and yeah if i go there i can open the cd

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
post egzactly what it says on the cd that you are trying to boot to.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the cd you are trying to boot from is a COPY of an official XP cd, it won't be a bootable disc. I know this because I have tried to make a backup of my XP cd, and everything copies fine, but it doesn't work as a bootable cd, for some reason. You need to have the official XP cd. If you don't have it, we may not be able to help you here at G2G.