Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

operating system wont start up

• Please log in to reply

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok sorry if i made things unclear, i have an extremely old computer that is not working because theres someting wrong with the power,
the other computer is working, just the hard drive is not
the files that Puppy CAN read right are the files from the hard drive off the old computer with the power problem that i took out and then plugged into the working machine

Advertisements

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
how can i configure Windows to bypass BSoD (0x00000007B)
or is it not possible? the hard driev i need to access Windows on has a valid installation and works fine on an older machine but not on this newer one

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you ever find your XP cd?

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yes i have the XP cd...but unfortunatley my one operational HD is a 7GB one with only about 600MB left, but it alrdy has XP SP2 installed on it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me make sure I've got all this right.

The 7 gig drive you are working on was in another machine when Windows XP was installed on it. You now have this drive installed in another machine and Windows XP won't start.

If this is the case, you need to do a Repair Installation of Windows to get it to boot. The drive is borderline on space for doing this and a Parallel Installation is out of the question...no room for it. Give it a shot and see what happens. Your data will be fine using this procedure...just follow the instructions closely.

If you do not see the option for running the repair, exit the install (F3) and let us know what happened.

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did the repair install and all is good until i need to activate windows...it says it cant connect to the activation server although my LAN is working and i can access the Internet on all computers through wireless and LAN

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this operating system currently installed and activated on any other machine? You might want to hold off on activating until we have a look around and make sure things are in good shape. You may end up doing this again.

How is the machine running? Any error messages during the install? Is all your data ok?

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no other machines have this installation of XP, there are no error messages and evrything runs smoothyl
but Windows prompts me for activation or else it wont log me in, by using Narrator and then opening a browser, it looks like all my files are good

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting to "Safe mode with networking" and see if you can activate. You may have to activate by phone. It sometimes happens when you have such a large hardware change. You'll just have to explain to them what happened and they should get you activated.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
also if you cant activate imediatly, pick a file perhaps "My Computer" go to the help and click "Is the windows legal or valid" <---whatever...run that and it will ask you to install an active x tool-do that then reboot and try the activate --perhaps your active x is not allowing you to activate (happened to me before) BE Sure to let us know what happens to
Good Luck ~Nic C.

Edited by nic777, 05 June 2007 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
nope safe mode does not work, it tells me to reboot into normal mode in order to register,
and nic777 - Windows is acting as i i have already used up the 30 days needed for activation so i cant log on or see any files except through a web browser

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you started the install over 30 days ago...even if you didn't get it completed...You will have to activate by phone ...its painless...takes about 10 minutes to do...