Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Malfunctioning, may need new one.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
ok I bought a usb hub, but it didn't help, except for the first day. I'm not sure if it has its own power supply though. does it have its own power supply if you plug in it in somewhere and then you have a wire that you attach to one of the laptops ports? I mean the hub is still connected to the laptop through one of its ports, but how else would you connect the hub to the laptop. the circuit city guy said it does have its own power supply.

I'm beginning to think it is my mouse then.... I'll have a replacement in a couple weeks so then I'll know for sure.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The usb hub that u bought is an active one.
Lets hope itis the mouse.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
what do you mean active?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
A usb hub that is passive is connected only to the computer/laptop uses power from the usb port.
An active usb hub has its own power supply so that it does not drain the power from the usb ports If you are draining the power out of the usb ports you can start to get problems.
There are laptops that do not have cd/dvd built in but only external. To connect one they have a double connector to the laptop. one is usb the other one is for power so that it will have enough power to run properly.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
yeah that hub didnt do anything, but i called logitech and had them send me another mx518 for free, and this one works, looks like its even upgraded from 1600 to 1800 dpi...but in cs its fine!

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
the new mouse works fine !