Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on upgrading cpu to a pentium d

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Just need a little advice on if it worth upgrading my cpu or not.

At the moment, i have an intel P4 2.93 ghz cpu with hyperthreading, so it shows up in everest and cpuz as cpu 0 and cpu 1, one physical and one virtual cpu.
Have been looking at the pentium D and celeron d cpus as an upgrade but am gettining a little confused as wether or not its worth bothering !!

Motherboard is an Asterope GL8E ( RC410-M ) Socket 775.

I think ( from what i have read ) that the pentuim D processors are more efficient than the celeron D series,,, so i am probably gonna go for a Pentuim D.

The pentuim d doesnt have hyperthreading enabled i believe, would this make any difference in speed etc,,,, ???
The side bus jump to 800 mhz along with a 4mb cache ( 2x2 mb ) sounds appealing though. !

As i say, i have a 2.93 ghz cpu at present,,, i am looking at a pentuim D, 3.4 ghz , which equates to 6.8 ghz.

My question is,,,,,,,,, Although 6.8 ghz sounds like a huge leap in performance on paper, is it really that much better than what i am using at the moment ?????

My only reason for wanting to upgrade is that i will be running Vista ultimate shortly,,, and secondly,,, these pentuim D chips are dropping price like a falling rock and now seems as good a time as any to upgrade.
My present pc running xp , is absalutly fine at the moment and is certainly fast enough for my needs,,,, with Vista going on my pc in a few weeks i am not so sure that my pc will be as good anymore.

As a side note,,,,, are the newer ,core 2 duo processors any better than the P4 D series 3.4 ghz, running at 1.8ghz - 2.4ghz ????

Hope this all makes sense !

Look forward to any replies,,

Many thanks,,,,, kev.

Edited by rxkevco, 27 May 2007 - 10:00 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When looking at dual-core you do not get two lots of 3.4. You get one lot of 3.4 but two brains. This is why its called dual-core because the processor has effectively two brains. One brain can be tied up doing, for example, video editing, and the other can be used to process your web browser. With a single-core processor it would have to video edit and feed the browser.

With Vista its not so much the speed of the processor, rather the amount of memory in the computer. At least 1 gigabyte is recommended if not more.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Cheers neil,,,
I have decided to go for a pentium D cpu as my motherboard isnt compatible with the latest core 2 duo cpus.
It will only support PD 900 and 800 series, along with celeron D and the even older pentium 4 , 500 and 600 series, one of which is my present cpu.

I have 2 gig of memory at present and unfortunatly thats all the mobo will supprt having only 2 memory slots !

Either way, the pentium D 925,945,950 series cpus are a lot better than what i have at present,,,i am sure i will see the benefits straight away as i do end up doing a lot of multi tasking.

Would the loss of hyperthreading capability be a step backwards if i upgrade to a pentium D 945 with dual cores, or is the dual core just far superior in every way ?????

Many thanks, kev.