Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd conversions

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
i have alot of dvds and videos, ive already had a mate put all my vhs videos on to my external hard drive, so it does not take up space, does not ruin the orginal, so i can watch anything on my pc that i want to without needing a tv (and therefore tv licenese) anyways how do i convert my dvd films so i can put them on here 2, (p.s pls note i no u ave no way to no if in like so illegal thingy mabob trying to rip dvd's but this is purly for my own use so wen im on the train etc i dont need to carry round a dozen dvds etc) anyways how do i do it, wot programs do i use, pref free/£0 programs

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi thero_cpd, you surely can create legal backups of your dvd movies. I do understand this can be an interesting topic, but as far as I am aware, it is legal to create a backup copy of something I already have - as long as I keep it and don't sell/loan/"lose" it or the original. If I am wrong, maybe someone could point this out to me.

Anyway, I use DVD Shrink, sometimes DVD Decrypter. Be aware also that sometimes, for no apparent reason, they may not copy correctly. I've found information on this meaning the DVDs themselves are dodgy and can only play but can't be ripped...

Just make sure you select to copy it to HDD, and specify a folder with the movie name and do it to that each time, otherwise you'll get massive files everywhere and won't know which movie is which!

Also, try defragging your hdd after each movie so that they can all be placed optimally on your disc for best performance, as they are large files!

Cheers!

EDIT: Both these programs I have mentioned are free to download.

Edited by ruthandtroy, 06 June 2007 - 11:14 PM.