Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Account Management Issue

• Please log in to reply

jvanop

jvanop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been using this computer for two years without messing with the user account settings. So I was always logged in as "Administrator" automatically at start up without being prompted for passwords or user names (the default configuration when I recieved the PC). Today, I decided to add a new user account, and now I can't (easily) log into the administrator account. I'm running XP Pro, so I can still log in to the Administrator account without entering safe mode by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL at the login screen and manually typing the account name, but I'd like it to be easier.

What I want to know is how can I set up Windows at this point so it will either (a) automatically log in to the Administrator account as it used to or (b) log in to another account that looks and behaves identical to the old Administrator account with all the files and settings that I've accumulated over the last 2 years?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi jvanop and welcome to geeks to go.
First off I would not recommend using the administrator account that appears in safe mode. Us Technicians usually like to safe this account for troubleshooting account purposes only.

Second I also recommend doing most of your work on a Limited account. And Creating an administrator type account for administrative work like adding and removing programs ETC. And password all accounts and force users to login with a username and password. Going even further having users press CTrl+alt+Del to login.

That being said.

Go to start > Run > control userpasswords2

Uncheck Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.
Set the already created Username you want the computer to automatically log into.
and use the already created password for that username.