Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a DVD converter

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well my little brother just had his little league championship game. My mom video taped the whole thing and now we have it as a video on my comp in (.avi) format. My mom is heading out of town to visit some family, and they would like to watch the game. So what is a good free converter so that I can convert them and burn them to a DVD to watch in a DVD player???

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 28 May 2007 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nero or Roxio will do it.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Now will it play in a DVD player if it is in the correct format but on a black CD, not DVD???

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If its made as a video CD (again, Nero or Roxio will do it) then since all a Video CD is is a cut-down DVD, it should play no problem. It won't look very pretty on a TV set (look a bit mushy) but it'll work.

Bear in mind a video CD will hold nowhere near as much video as a DVD would - a decent DVD quality video you'd be able to get four hours of on in a dual-layer disk. You'll be able to get about an hour of video on a Video CD.

Please see http://www.geocities...496/vcdfaq.html for further details.

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, I'm in a similar problem. I used to burn .avi files on VCD's to watch on t.v using Roxio, so recently I bought 4.7GB DVD's for longer time duration. However, Roxio would not let me burn .avi files onto the DVD. Is there a free software that will allow me to do burn and watch .avi files on a DVD player?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
AVI files are not part of the DVD spec; therefore they wouldn't play on a DVD Player anyway.

Last time I did this, I followed this and just changed as I needed to as I already had raw video and sound, I just wanted it to behave like a DVD. You may have to experiment to get the effects you want.
http://dvdguide.ennik.com/

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, I'll try this.

s2tgrave

s2tgrave

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
for the moment a lot of dvd-players also supports DivX, just burn the *.avi on a cd-r and its ready to play