Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Real problem with recovery...

• Please log in to reply

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 1350, it randomly turned itself off one day and then when i turned it back on greeted me with the message about a missing dll file, so i thought i'd better run the recovery disk

So i restarted and changd boot order putting in the recovery cd, everythin seemed to be going fine, i put in the second disk as instructed and then was greeted with an error message saying 'Application Error 1008' , there is a problem with the file extension or something. At the bottom it says something to do with ghost.txt so im not sure if it is that which has the problem or not.

So now when i turn it on it just goes to black with a flashing cursor and nothing else....not the best. I don't have a warrenty for it anymore and was just hoping to get it back, regardless of any type of data recovery.

J

Advertisements

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Weird Update....

The laptop finally let me run the recovery process and said it was successful, everything was looking promising and for the first time i now had options of safe mode, safe mode with networking/command prompt and start windows manually..
HOWEVER - start windows manually just does nothing and the safe mode settings just result in scrolling messages which all start with

'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\' and the a .sys file

Not sure what to do now.....any ideas?

thanks,
J

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the last sys file that loads?

Sometimes when you boot into Safe Mode and it hangs loading the system files, just letting it sit for a while will allow it to finish loading.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Have you tried system restore to before problem started?

To run System Restore in safe mode Access System Restore through Help and Support. Follow the instructions on your screen. Note To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support.

http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well i clicked 'last known configuration' and now have this message

'Windows couldn't start because the following file is missing/corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this fil by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom, selecr 'r' at the first screen.

The only disks i have are the recovery ones i've used so.....
I'll try to leave safe mode on then for now and see what happens.

Thanks for replying, the last 5 sys files are;
fltMgr.sys
Fastfat.sys
KsecDD.sys
MDIS.sys
Mup.sys

J

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
in reply to zbd i can't actually load windows so 'start' isn't available anyways.
thanks though
J

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A hang on Mup.sys is not a good one. There are a ton of possible fixes available with a Google search, but it has been my experience that none of them work. The only way I've been able to get past this hang is with a format and reinstall.

Give it upwards of 30 minutes to try and finish loading, but after that, if it never fully starts, I'd run a full destructive recovery to see if that will get you past the hang.

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i'll leave it on then,
out of interest how would i do a destructive recovery?

bonneyboy

bonneyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anyone? destructive recovery?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that just means a clean install of windows...it will format the drive and reinstall windows...you WILL lose all your data doing it that way though