Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Knoppix

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. I am new to Linux, about one day. I got me Knoppix in hopes of salvaging the data from damaged hard drive. So I have two hard drives installed on this computer. Both of them have only one partition each. I want to move data from one to another. But when I load Knoppix (latest 01/2007, 700MB version) it mounts both drives as Read-Only. I even tried plugging in flash memory, same result. What can I do? Please note, I did try all the "right click" options, so I guess I will have to do some command lines that I don't know how in Linux. Thank you. :whistling:

Edited by bigdog1100, 29 May 2007 - 08:01 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi bigdog1100,

Most Linux distros older than about four months will only mount ntfs as read only.
The NTFS drivers for Linux up until the 3g version are considered unstable for write functions.
The newer distros like the latest Slax,PCLinuxOS,and SimplyMepis 6.5 have the NTFS 3g drivers and should do the rescue for you.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
have you tried logging in as root user?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
So I have Knoppix 5.1.1 Is my only option is to get FAT32 drive or is there anything else I can do with it?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
ditto how do I do it please? Thank you.

Edited by bigdog1100, 29 May 2007 - 10:24 AM.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Does knoppix use KDE or gnome? The following commands will open a file manager (windows explorer but for linux)

For gnome:
user@home#: sudo nautilus

For KDE:
user@home#: sudo konqueror

this will promt for root password.

let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Need to run this in terminal.

Edited by ditto, 29 May 2007 - 10:33 AM.
forgot terminal

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
1.) Password? If there is none, I should just hit enter?

2.) Once I have accomplished that, then what do I do?

Thank you.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
well it will now bring it a file manager (while being root user) so you can click and drive the files you need.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok, I'll do it when I get home tonight. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thank you.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. It didn't work. So I installed yet another harddrive but before I did, I formatted it in FAT32. Once I ran Knoppix, I was able to just right click, edit to writable and bingo! Problem solved. :whistling: