Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing the image list in Windows Picture And Fax Viewer

• Please log in to reply

David37

David37

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forum and I just recently found out that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer copies and lists every image or picture from all of the websites that one's computer has previously visited. Well, I did a search to see how I could clear those images from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and at one site, I found a simple enough solution which said:

When you view an attached image directly from your email client (such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express etc), the attachment are stored in the Temporary Internet Files, before it's being previewed. So, the Temporary Internet Files folder becomes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer's working directory, and all the pictures in the Temporary Internet Files are lined up in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. To solve the problem, clear all Temporary Internet Files cache, including the offline content.

Well, I followed those instructions which pretty much did the job, however, even though the actual images have been cleared and deleted from the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, in the blue banner at the top of the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, the names of the images are still listed when one clicks the "Next Image (Right Arrow)" and "Previous Image (Left Arrow)" buttons.

What I would like to know is does anyone know of any method or program that will clear the names of the images that are listed in the blue banner at the top of the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

Advertisements

David37

David37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Related to this problem, I also wanted to add that I had found another website which had a solution to this problem which said:

Right-click Start, click Properties, and then click Customize.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Clear List.
Clicking Clear List empties the My Recent Documents folder

Now this particular solution did not clear the image list in my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, however, when I initially right-clicked on Start and then Properties, I didn't have access to the Advanced tab(I was still in "Classic Start menu" mode), however, I did click on Customize on the Taskbar tab and I noticed that a "Customize Notifications" dialog box appeared which had a list called Current Items and Past Items. Well, listed in the Past Items was a program which I had thought that I had completely uninstalled and had manually deleted it's remaining files from my computer, however, this program still ended up being listed in the "Customize Notifications" dialog box. But now this makes me wonder where else on my computer could this program still be found. Does anyone know how to clear this program from the Past Items list?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well I suggest that you try ATF:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

David37

David37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, starjax. It looks like the ATF-Cleaner did the job.