Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My wireless problems....

• Please log in to reply

OwenR

OwenR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people. Sorry my first post is a cry for help, but my friend recommended I use this website for some help!

Got a Belkin Modem + Wireless router thingy.

Have had some problems with it on my laptop and when I run XP on my desktop. Works fine with Linux.

It sometimes works fine, sometimes it picks up the wireless connection, but can't obtain IP address, sometimes, when this happens, I can do an ipconfig /renew and it picks it up fine, other times it just won't work.

Other times it doesn't pick the wireless connection up at all or drops it randomly.

Like I said, when I use it with Linux I have no problems at all.

Also, I can plug my laptop in, using a network cable, and that works most of the time (occasionally dropping the connection, but hardly ever)

Also, tried using it with my Wii last night. Sometimes the Wii picked up the wireless connection, sometimes it didn't. When it did it said couldn't connect to Internet because of some DNS problem.

I set up a static I.P. address with the Wii last night, just said it couldn't connect to the Internet then.

Anybody got any suggestions, at all? Please???!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go! I just have a couple of questions for you:

How far away from the router is your laptop/Wii? If it's too far, it will have connection issues and drop out often...

Got a Belkin Modem + Wireless router thingy

Does this mean you recently got it? Like new? Or you've got one, had it for a while...? What's the model number?

OwenR

OwenR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go! I just have a couple of questions for you:

How far away from the router is your laptop/Wii? If it's too far, it will have connection issues and drop out often...

Got a Belkin Modem + Wireless router thingy

Does this mean you recently got it? Like new? Or you've got one, had it for a while...? What's the model number?

Distance doesn't seem to make a difference. Wii is very close, laptop can be sat next to it, desktop is upstairs.

I've had it for about a year. Not sure model number, will find out for you when I get home

Forte

Forte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you have to enter a WEP key for it? If so, the Wii requires the same WEP key.
XP Requires the same.

Also, there are certain Wireless routers the Wii does not work with. You should check nintendowifi.com for a list of compatible wireless routers for the DS/Wii. Hope that helps.

Edited by Forte, 08 June 2007 - 01:27 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

will find out for you when I get home

It must be taking a long time to get home :whistling: