Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email not received

• Please log in to reply

jojsh45

jojsh45

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Occasionally Outlook stops receiving email, and this can last for hours or more than a day. Mail is waiting (can be seen in Mail2web), but it is just not received. It has been suggested that it may be an issue with the virus checker (AVG). Operating system is XP Home SP2, and we are using Outlook 2003. The ISP provider has checked and can see nothing wrong.

Advertisements

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Outlook is now failing to send as well. Looks like a timeout error 0x8004210.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
That error doesn't look like a "standard" antivirus will not let me check my mail error. Could be though. Do you have your XP CD and your office CD? Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

When you cannot get/send e-mail can you still surf the web?

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes, we have the discs. It is Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express. Web access is unaffected.

We tried a second computer to access the same account. It was able to send, but still not able to receive, email.

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes, we have the discs. It is Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express. Web access is unaffected.

We tried a second computer to access the same account. It was able to send, but still not able to receive, email.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
What firewall do you have? Could it be blocking? Do both machines have same AV program?

If firewall isn't blocking your ISP may be blocking. Do you get an error message? Or your ISP could be blocked.... what is your outgoing mail server? I'll check the ISP blocked if you give me your outgoing mail server info.

Are both machine using the same connection to internet? What equipment do you have attached to that line?

Sorry for so many questions, but right now many things could be the cause... you have 2 issues no send for the account (on 2 machines) and no receive for the primary machine. COULD be same issue if they use same connection. So I need info.

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Bob, thanks for the fast response. Since then email has returned - both send and receive are working. We did nothing to the PC - it just started working again. As mentioned this has happened before. I very much suspect that it is something at the ISP - although they don't admit it. We could see incoming mail in mail2web, and the ISP said that if this is the case then their end is working. Is this correct, or are there reasons why mail2web should look ok, but still can't see the server from Outlook? Servers are pop.indigo.ie and smtp.indigo.ie.

Thanks again.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
If they connect you to the internet, the problem could be on their end even if you can see the mail through thier web portal (it still needs to come to you). if you connect trough someone else, it isn't indigo's fault.

I'm still not sure it IS indigo's fault even if they connect you to internet.

Because you have your CD's I'd suggest you do a repair install of office (to fix outlook) WHEN IT BREAKS again.

How do the 2 machines you've tested through connect to internet? Were they in the same house connecting through same connection?

Tell me a little about your system and setup please.

ALSO indigo is NOT being blocked as a spammer. You're good there.

Edited by bobmad, 02 June 2007 - 08:21 AM.

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Bob,

The setup is one desktop running XP Home, and one laptop running XP Professional - both have SP2 applied. The desktop is connected via cables from a Zyxel modem and a Linksys Wireless router. Broadband is using the BT service here in Ireland. The laptop uses a wireless connection. At the time of the failure these were the only devices connected (sometimes one or two other laptops make use of the wirelss network). Both PCs use the Windows firewall and AVG free edition version 7.5 as the antivirus program.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
So both computers connect to a linksys wireless (desktop uses wires to linksys).

Linksys distributes the connection from a Zyxel modem.

When this fails, you probably hit send /receive and get an error message. Is this correct? What is error message? What does it say to let you know it didn't get the mail?

jojsh45

jojsh45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
From memory, it's a 0x8004210 cannot connect to POP server for the send error, and a timeout message for the receive.