Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Excel - Missing DATA1.msi file

• Please log in to reply

dimples4t

dimples4t

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was having some Malware issues that have been resolved, but no unless I go about opening Microsoft Excel a roundabout way, it tries to find the disk for Microsoft Office 2000, stating that I am missing a file called data1.msi

Is this a product of the infection I had and how do I fix it without a MS 2000 Office disk?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dimples4t.

Just to clarify: you did have Office (or Excel) 2000 installed on your machine?

See this Microsoft Article for information on the "missing data1.msi" problem.

At this point, Office (or Excel) just needs to be reinstalled, but without the installation disk, there's not much you can do. If your copy of Office was legal and licensed, you can contact Microsoft at (800) 360-7561 to order replacement media. See Microsoft article 326246 for additional support options.

As an alternative, you should check into Open Office. It's freeware and compatible with MS Office file formats.