Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just started building PC and already problems

• Please log in to reply

PimpMasta_McNasty

PimpMasta_McNasty

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just started on a new computer today. No Hard Drive yet but everything else is there. Here's the specs: Intel Core 2 E6400 2.13 Ghz, 2 gb corsair ddr2 PC26400, BFG nvidia 7950 GT OC 512mb, Plextor DVD Rom, Antec 550 Truepower PSU.

So like I said, just needs the hard drive. But the thing doesn't even let me stay in the BIOS for long before it shuts down. Now I thought it would be the PSU. The one I had at first was a 450 watt. So I swapped it with a 550 watt. When I was swapping it, I noticed the heat sink/fan on the cpu was loose so I tried to set it in there. Turns out the plastic tips that are supposed snap in the mobo are bent at the ends. Then I looked at the thermal grease that came with the cpu and it looks like a very scant amount. I disconnected different components one at a time to see if any of them were the culprits but so far I think it's the processer. Can anyone give me some advice. I'm gonna try to fix the heatsink while I await a response. I just hope I don't have to buy a new heatsink or for that matter, a new cpu.
:whistling:

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sounds like its shutting down for heat based on your symtoms of the heat sink. The CPU/ heat sink needs to be installed properly for cooling. I hope the CPU did not get damaged.
HERE are instructions.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
if you started the computer wtihout a heatsink properly on, chances are you most likely damaged your CPU...dont be shocked if it comes that your heatsink is on but your computer just wont boot anymore

might as well stick a fork in that processor because it is cooked. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The computer wasn't on long enough to suggest overheating, not to mention it was at idle. The core2duos have run tests by the people at MaximumPC as well as otherplaces to see how it'll run without a fan all together (I do NOT suggest this) and it ran fine for quite a while.
While I don't know what your issue is, I can almost guarantee that it's not because of your CPU overheating.
James

PimpMasta_McNasty

PimpMasta_McNasty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, after being able to fix the heatsink problem, I am now typing from my new computer and all is well. I put in a new layer of thermal grease just in case but this computer is running smoothly. Thanks guys. :whistling:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So the heat sink/ fan was the problem.
Glad to see all is well.