Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

instant reboot for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply

Ugo

Ugo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, i've been on this site before to get help removing a spyware (Smitfraud-C) and the person helping was great. got it removed in no time but since then i've been having problems with XP. i was running XP sp1 before without any anti-virus and had no problem for a long time. While removing Smitfraud-C it was suggested to upgrade to SP2, install all the windows critical updates and to get an anti-virus (AVG was recommended). since the upgrade has been done my computer displays a lot of errors (the error window says "your system has just recovered from a serious error" with the buttons send - don't send info to Microsoft. its not very specific. and very often now it will just shut down and reboot for no apparent reason! THE most anoying thing EVER!!! i don't know if you can help

thank you in advance

Ugo

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Ugo

Ugo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanx - i did it and it hasn't restarted since but i'm not getting my hopes up... i still got a error message;

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

(and when i click on "details" i get this... really don't know if that tells you anything)

error signature

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00018fea

i will post any other errors i get

thanx for your help so far

Ugo

Ugo

Ugo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
and here is another one. it usually happens right when i start my computer... same kinda message;

brsvc01a has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

error signature

szAppName : brsvc01a.exe szAppVer : 1.0.0.3 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 0012e824

technical info about error

C:\DOCUME~1\Monkey\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd544.dir00\brsvc01a.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Monkey\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd544.dir00\appcompat.txt

thank you again for your time

Ugo

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First off the fact that you get a error stating the explorer.exe is failing is not a good thing.

brsvc01a.exe Has to do with printing software.

Unfortenently when microsoft creates the dumps it does not save them.

Try uninstalling then reinstalling your printer software and drivers.