Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Running Real Slow

• Please log in to reply

ant7783

ant7783

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Everything on my laptop was running fine until the other day when I turned it on. I turned it on and it took a lot longer to load. After windows started loading it took even longer for me to be able to open an programs. The whole process takes about 10 - 15 minutes now when it used to take a minute. Also the opening sound plays real choppy.

It seems that something is stealing the memory the system needs to load and use when in use any idea on how I can find it out and fix the problem. The laptop is only a few months old

Where do I start

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hey ant welcome to gtg.sorry about your pc problems. i think it would be best if you went to the malware forum to start out with.if the folks over there give you a clean bill of health then come-on back :blink: just follow thier instructions you'll be fine :whistling:

ant7783

ant7783

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
sounds good i will post it up in there thanks

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
It sounds to me like your hard drive is stuck in PIO mode and not DMA go to "Start">>"Run" type in devmgmt.msc look for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers double click then double click on "Primary IDE Adapter" go to the advanced tab and look at the "Current Transfer Mode" if it says PIO then that is your problem. To fix it go to the "Driver" tab and hit uninstall, then reboot and Windows will reinstall it with the proper settings.

ant7783

ant7783

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
it said pio mode so i am trying this now

ant7783

ant7783

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thank you it worked any idea on why it did that and how to prevent it

Edited by ant7783, 31 May 2007 - 08:55 PM.