Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue moon

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Did you know that at 11:04 Aust Eastern Time today there was a blue moon (full moon).
A blue moon happens when there are two full moons in the one month. Blue moons occur only 41 times in a century.

Edit: Hmm, just did a bit of research and now I am totally confused. According to Wiki the blue moon is the one at the end of June!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon

Edited by frantique, 01 June 2007 - 02:08 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If I read that correctly, it has to do with the earth's hemispheres and time zones. Since you reside in Australia, the full moon actually occurred on June 1st for you, and the next one will occur June 30th, hence it wil be the blue moon. Here in the States, the full moon was yesterday, which was May 31st, so we did have 2 in May. (Although when I look at my calendar, the next one for us is also June 30th).

Kenny Baum

Kenny Baum

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
It takes the moon 29.5 days to go around earth. thats what causes this, Just if a full moon happens at the right time at the beginning of the month, you will have 2.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when i was in school...we had a class called "problem solving" which is ITT's way of getting around the words "remedial math"....and basically it was one of those courses where you didn't have to get the right answer...you just had to show your thought process was valid...one of the questions involved something that required you to know how long it took for the moon to orbit the earth...there was this one kid that almost got into a fist fight with me and the teacher because he was SURE that the moon took 12 hours to orbit the earth "if it took 29 days to orbit the earth you wouldn't have night time every day" yeah genius...the moon causes darkness llike the sun causes daylight...it was really special

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I thought this post was about BlueMoon Beer... so delicious! :whistling:

Edited by GodSpeed005, 12 June 2007 - 10:53 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh goodness, I'm just trying to remember all the things I said would happen once every blue moon...

I've said it about so many different things, so I'm guessing a lot is going to happen this month...

:whistling:

EDIT: Yeah GO AUSTRALIA!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 14 June 2007 - 04:34 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I thought this was a post about beer :whistling:

Blue moon is what my wife drinks, you can see more info here:

http://www.coors.com... Fact Sheet.pdf

:blink: :help: :help:

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yea Blue moon with a slice of orange? good god its good.

I've also had recently Blue Moon Summer Ale, also a tasty beer.

reyra

reyra

• Pip
  • 3 posts
that was interesting, but does the blue moon represent something?

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
oh, I thought you were talking about blue-moon ice cream!!!!!