Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing Packets

• Please log in to reply

Malcolm Kane

Malcolm Kane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right, I have a 3 computer network, all 3 computers are running Windows XP Home Edition.

Now, I have Internet Connection Sharing running and everything was working fine until last night. One of the client computer's internet became very, very slow and wouldn't even load most pages. Further inspection has revealed that when I try to ping this computer from the others in my network I generally lose 25-50% of packets, similarly if I ping a computer from the 'bad computer' I lose 25-50% of packets.

So, I would quite like to fix this so do you have any ideas as to what could be causing the problems?

EDIT: I have also tried a full format of the 'bad PC' this has done nothing to fix the problem.

Edited by Malcolm Kane, 01 June 2007 - 06:01 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Malcolm, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Just a quick question, how are the computers connected - via router I presume? Have you tried changing your connection cable with the other client computer that does work, or plugging in to a different port on the router?

Can you think of anything you (or another user) might have done recently that could have some kind of impact on this? Is the router in good condition, cables properly inserted etc...?

EDIT: I have also tried a full format of the 'bad PC' this has done nothing to fix the problem.

Does this mean a clean re-install of XP Home, including all the latest Microsoft Updates?