Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Combo Drive Writing Speed

• Please log in to reply

UBS

UBS

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have this Samsung OCTOedge CD writer, DVD reader combo drive, quite new. It specifies 52x32x52x+16x speed but I can only write in max 8X speed, everything else fails, even 16X. I use nero 7 premium to burn.

Please kindly suggest a remedy for this.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy better quality blank media is a common solution, but not always the best.

The drive throttles its writing speed to match the maximum speed that the media can support. Therefore a maximum 16x writing speed is not always achievable for a range of reasons, especially if the media is only rated 8x.

Edited by Neil Jones, 01 June 2007 - 05:15 PM.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I mostly use Moserbaer which supports 52x speed. So, the problem isn't with the capabilities of the media I suppose.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
52x writing speed is a theoretical maximum that is only reached under ideal circumstances. Ideal circumstances are rare because the computer is always doing more than one thing, especially with the need for anti-virus software in an always-on world. You may need to flash the firmware of the drive to enable it to recognise the maximum burning capabilities of the media, but you have to be careful to use the right firmware from the Samsung site otherwise you may stop the drive working at all and any warranties you have become null and void.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for your suggestions but what do you mean by "flash the firmware of the drive"?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
To flash the firmware is to update the brain of the CD unit into recognising more blank CDs and their maximum burning capabilities. It is not a practice for the faint-hearted or the unsure for reasons I've outlined previously.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Actually I did update my firmware.....no screw-ups. I'll check if things are working fine the next time I write a CD and will let you know.

Thanks for the help and suggestions :whistling: