Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Company of Heros has gone DX10!

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

It should run fine on DX9.

The P35 will out perform the 680i its a really good new chipset, i always found intel chipsets kind of weak compared to the competition but p35 looks good the new memory controller looks like it can actually compete with AMDs. DDR3 is a massive bandwidth increase it has high latencies but it can shift allot more data, and higher latencies are just one of the costs of faster memory and they arent all that high like DDR2 was when it first appeared, the nice thing about memory is that no matter how new or fancy it is its allways going to be used to its full potential its not like multi core CPUs where you have to wait for software memory just works and faster memory makes for faster performance. And DDR3 can run at ridiculous speeds at higher temps. The P35 should also have an extra generation of compatibility so it should work for whatever comes after these new chips the nforce6 most likely wont, and ddr3 compatibility is going to be nice to have once prices drop.

All the 2900 family is going to be 80nm from what ive read of the ATI press release with the 65nm reserved for the mid range cards, the 1Gb DDR4 version is going to be 80nm as well they should appear without much fanfare as soon as ATI has enough stock, we should also hear about the new DX10 laptop chips soon.

Its stupid to be impatient its not going anywhere and its not like there are allot of good new games out right now most of the good new ones aren't coming till the Autumn anyway, you pay a premium when things are new a couple of months later there is usually a better cheaper version or at least they are on a later production run with more bugs worked out.

I agree with warriorscot it'll run fine, they wouldn't release a patch that'd do otherwise this early into the DX10 game.

Problem is though I have been waiting since January to build. Now I just want something to play with as soon as exams are over since the computer i'm currently on no longer has gaming capabilities (can't play AOM on high detail).

The 1GB DDR4 version shouldn't have many advantages maybe slight in the lower resolutions, but of course more ram translates into better performance for higher resolutions and higher AA. I'll look around when I have time, but I'm sure I read that there will be a revision of the 2900XT cards in late summe/early fall. But it's also said that the GPU might be a redisign, which if the case isn't a revision. I believe it's code named R650. But I can't remember, I have been reading so much lately that everything is mushing together.

Right now the overclock potential isn't very high, I only see the Core2duo's going to 3.4GHz in reviews, but with updates this should change as it always does.

Some people are saying that current processors arn't able to utilize the extra bandwidth, but we'd need to see some reviews to see for sure if this is true. I might have been possible on 1066 FSB (never supported DDR3 I know) but with the 1333 FSB it might be the opposite, we'll never know till we begin to see benchmarks and reviews.

Yeah, I think I'm going with a gigabyte motherboard (they look like lego!), P35 chipset and the HD 2900XT mobo since all the P35 chipsets support crossfire, to be honest with improving relations between Intel and Nvidia I was expecting the complete opposite.

James

Edited by james_8970, 03 June 2007 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
The only thing Im not sure about is whether or not the Gigabyte one is if the Zalman heatsink will mount. If it does than Ill most likely get that one. Still not sure I would like to see some benchmarks before I decide. I'm going to be really patient about it and probably wait for the revisions on the cards and for more mobos to be released. Then Ill decide which one Im getting.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm the same as you I want to place a Thermaltec 120 ultra on here later.
Since we are on the topic which motherboard do you guys think I should get.
http://www.ncix.com/...x.php?sku=24248
http://www.ncix.com/...acture=Gigabyte
I'm edging towards the one with DDR2/DDR3 since the PCIe 4x is junk (large bottleneck) for crossfire if I ever plan on that route.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think Im going to get the Gigabyte one with only one PCI-E x16 slot, and DDR2/3 because I dont ever plan on running crossfire.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I might in the future, not sure. But I like you have my douts. Also the crossfireboards have better overclocking features which is the main reason why I'm thinking about them.
Also the DDR2/DDR3 doesn't have many real advantages are DDR3 will be clocked much higher in the near future then what that motherboard will ever support. Reports are already coming out of 2GHz sticks by mid 2008.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm to cheap so I took the cheaper crossfire board :whistling:
Here's a good review for the P35 chipset motherboards.
http://www.tomshardw...red/page19.html
By the way I don't know where I was getting the overclocking difference.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 June 2007 - 07:49 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
This is a tough decision. I think Im going to get either the MSI P35 Diamond, or the Gigabyte P35T-DQ6. MSI did a little better on the benchmarks, but Im not sure. Ill have to wait and see. It will most likely be the MSI one, one because it will probably fit the cooling fan, and because it happened to better in the benchmarks.

Edited by Drumbum667, 05 June 2007 - 08:38 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
MSI arne't available yet in canada :whistling:
Otherwise I'd probably have gotten it to, but the extra durable capacitors are nice to have as well as the addtional chokes to regulate voltages. Will make my CPU last a little longer and probably my board as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 June 2007 - 07:04 PM.