Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Question

• Please log in to reply

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have basically salvaged a motherboard that is no longer in use by another student in my A+ class. I havent had the chance to ask my teacher if it is possible to still use this board seeing as there are burn marks over the first SD Ram slot . I was just wondering if I could still use the other two or not or if the motherboard would be considered fried. I havent had the chance to hook it up considering I dont have a processor, ram sticks, nor a video card to slap on it at the moment. But if it helps I have taken a few photos of the motherboard to see if it helps sorry if its blurry

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Normally you should be able to use the other slots unless the board is a fussy one that insists on using the first slot first come heaven or high water. If that is the case, then the board would be useless. Alternatively it is possible that the slot is damaged and damaged the memory controller which is naturally connected to it. The only real way to tell is to find some hardware that fits it and see what happens.

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok thanks. I have a friend that has some hardware that I can borrow. So I will put on a mother board and one stick into one of the undamaged slots and put in a processor and see if it at least puts up a post screen. I also downloaded the Manual to see how I can set up the motherboard so it can run.