Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a USB to VCR Input Jack ?

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
June 1, 2007

Hi Guy (and Gal) PC Freeks,

I download alot of movies.
Isn't there a USB to VCR Input jack available that can put on your TV screen what your PC is playing on it's video media player ???? Most are .avi, some have the DivX logo in the lower corner, but if they play on Windows Media player then I try to burn 'em to DVD and watch them on TV. I even got a DivX Converter for $9.99....... About 70% of the time it's okay......

....but often the burned DVD's either get stuck at some point in the flick, or get reported as an 'unsupported format'. They don't stick when I play that segment thru the Windows Media Player (or DivX player).

Isn't there a USB to VCR Input jack available that can put what your PC's video media player is playing onto your TV screen ???
If I know what it's called (and other specs) I can look for it on EBay, and save alot of time and wasted burned DVD's.

Thanks,

scottportraits

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
First of all I've never heard of a usb to vcr device on the market and doubt there is one. If google didn't show you at least one result while searching than it probably doesn't exist. What there is for sure is a tv/game console/vcr to pc usb device called a "Adaptec Gamebridge":

Posted Image

Real cool! Theres two models by the way, one has normal functions and the second has a remote control and it can do a bit more.

Now you said that you had problems with burning dvd's and the like. Well that's another sad story and that's the fact that most software is prone to having problems especially when burning dvd's from various video formats. I would suggest that if you are to ever burn dvd's from your pc you should use "ConvertXToDvd":

http://www.vso-softw...nvert_x_to_dvd/

This will burn any video format on the planet flawlessly to dvd, including video's with complex audio formats such as "ac3" audio. It burns all dvd's with a menu and automatically splits the entire movie in chapters by separating each scene into five minute pieces with absolutely no skipping or noticeable video freezes during normal playback of an entire dvd. It's all I've ever been using for the past two years. I got sick of Nero and the like for it's weak abilities in supreme dvd authoring of various formats. There is a trial version on their site so go ahead and try it out. Burn a dvd from any video you have, and as a matter of fact if you have various small videos through them all on one dvd and you will see that they all work 100% fine. You'll want to use this program forever... I think it has a automatic volume normalizer as well, so if you burn a video that has extremely loud audio or audio that dips high and low, it will normalize it to one sole level.

I've never had to throw away a dvd with this program, as a matter of fact all of my friends want to borrow my dvd's now!!! LOL. I used to throw away plenty of dvd's which would end up in the recycling bin because of crap software. Now that is a thing of the past...

Edited by superstar, 02 June 2007 - 07:51 AM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Wow !! That is some testimonial! You sure sound satisfied with this software....and make it sound too perfect to believe.

I just downloaded the trial version from that site and will install and test it out. You're right, tho, about Nero and DivX and other apps for DVD burning....they all seem arbitrarily flakey. Nothing quite as annoying as a movie suddenly 'sticking' and the DVD player freezes. End of movie. Back to PC.

Will install and try it out on some of the 'sticky' movies that have burned DVD's badly, and are now in a pile waiting for the garbage.

- Thanks,

-scottportraits

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Try it out and let me know how it goes, and also make sure that you always use Dvd-R media. You can use Dvd+R although that's not best for video and some dvd players hate it with a passion. All your video burns should be done at x4 speed.

Here is the best and easiest tutorial for using "ConvertXtoDvd":

http://www.dvd-guide...nt/view/158/59/

Yes I'm very confident in that software, I used to spend large quantities of money buying more and more media because I had to throw most of it away. Since I tried "ConvertXtoDVD" I haven't thrown out a single disc.

I suggest next time you have any video quirks you visit this site for massive information about video burning, authoring, and the like:

www.videohelp.com <<< This site will save your rear one day.

Edited by superstar, 02 June 2007 - 10:25 PM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
June 8

Thanks again. Downloaded and installed the ConvertXtoDVD app and did a few tests.....they seemed to burn well. It takes a little longer than the DivX Player/burner, but it is faster than NeroVision.....so it's a good compromise.

Do DVD's have a time limit like CD-R's? Non-MP3 audio CD's record either 700MB or 80 minutes, as you know. But if I add 4.3GB of movies to a DVD, and the playing time exceeds 4 hours, will it record them all ??? Or is there also a time target to stay under when adding video files to burn ?

Sorry, but also, can they hide malware in an .avi file; and does an AV app like AVG catch everything when the file is being downloaded ?? I have one movie file that is embedded now in it's folder and won't delete or move, even in safe-mode. Is there something 'sticky' in this file ? It's really wedged in there, I've been trying to delete it for weeks now. No virus is detected.

- Thanks Friends,

-scottportraits

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
That little device superstar showed us look alot better than the Hauppauge (WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE) I have.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815116630