Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity (again)

• Please log in to reply

leeloo

leeloo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I wondered if anyone can help me. I have a Belkin Wireless ADSL 2 Modem which is hardwired to my computer. I used to connect wirelessly to my modem but was having a few troubles so I installed a ethernet card and have attached the modem to my computer with an ethernet cable.

The problem I am having is that when I start up my computer each day, the local area connection shows limited or no connectivity. If I go into my network connections and disable then enable the connection I can then get online but I have to do this every time I restart my computer..... also the connection will suddenly drop while I am online and I'll then have to restart my modem via the Belkin setup page!!

This is all very annoying and time consuming.... I've spoken to Belkin and they have told me that

a) its a firewall problem but I have no firewall enabled on the computer

b) its a computer problem and I should take my computer to a technician so they can fix it!

If thats the case then fine... but I wanted to try some things myself, maybe there are a few settings that need adjusting!!?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

L.

Advertisements

CPFC

CPFC

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

I'm new here myself, and was browsing topics that looked like my problem before posting. May I suggest a few things that may help others to fix your issue;

1. Get a fire wall sorted asap. That will just help you really, but your issue may arise from some nasties that might have dropped onto your pc. Probably not I hope, but its a risk. No really! Assume you are running some decent Antivirus. :whistling:

2. Run an IPconfig/all and post the result on this thread. If you aren't sure what that is, go to the command prompt, { START/RUN/ type 'CMD' } and type in 'IPconfig/all' straight into the prompt. You can highlight and paste then.

3. Assume also you have checked the physical connections. Obvious I know...sorry.

Other info such as OS would help probably too. And are there any other pc's on the network? Does it ping to the net? [ go to Command prompt and type 'ping bbc.co.uk' ]

Best of luck!

Edited by CPFC, 02 June 2007 - 07:41 PM.