Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Start Up - Reset - Repeat...!?

• Please log in to reply

team_sleep

team_sleep

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having trouble with my computer. :whistling: One day it just would no longer load up. When it is powered on, it will begin to boot up, but when it is about to reach the windows load screen, it stalls for a moment, and then restarts on it's own. :blink: I'm not sure where to even begin with this problem. Can someone please help me with some ideas? :help:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drive issue, most likely. Mechanics of the drive may be wearing out, hence the stall and the reboot caused by bad sectors on the drive which the Windows is wanting to load from, finds the information to be invalid and therefore reboots as it doesn't know what else to do.

team_sleep

team_sleep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay.. that's pretty much what I was affraid of...

any ideas on how I can get my stuff off of said hard drive. onto a new machine, along with a seconardy drive?

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well, you might also want to check to make sure nothing came loose inside the computer, maybe a lot of dust? Unplug then replug the power and IDE or SATA cable to your HD. If you still get the same problem then you can most likely recover your files. Get a program called "Easy Recovery Professional 6.0", I got mine for free off mininova.org. You can use it to access the files inside of the drive without having to boot it up. Just install it as a slave on a working computer. Make sure you have enough space on the working HD so you can copy your files onto it. Good luck.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Insert the Windows Disk into the CD drive and boot from it when the computer starts.
You will be given an option to press "r" to start the Recovery Console.
Press 'r' and you will see a command prompt. Type:
chkdsk /r
and press enter.
This might fix any errors you have on the disk, and will locate bad sectors and recover readable information.
Post back and tell us if that worked.