Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a connection to another computer/server

• Please log in to reply

2toes

2toes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wish to connect to 218.155.158.200 6969, or three other addresses to the same server. I've been looking at the network connections dialog on my XP PRO; however I continue to receive "Network Connection Error"

Am uncertain of how to proceed, the XP help and support isn't clear. Any help appreciated.

Bob

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
2toes welcome to gtg you might have to use 1 pc as a server by having 2 nics in the pc acting as a server.connect 1 of the nics into your modem the second into your client pc. you can use a hub but only between the pc's. your going to have either a nat (network address translation) or proxy software to accomplish this with proxy software you can block ports and its easy to customize. on the downside its gonna require special configuration to run. nat on the otherhand most of your software should work wihout any problems. also jnow that with this type of setup your server pc would have to be powerd up so the client pc can access the internet.if you go with the nat sygate has really nice nat software. have you talked with you isp? it might not be that expensive to purchase additional ip address. good luck

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'm assuming 218.155.158.200 is a fixed IP address of another computer as opposed to a website?

In which case you can only connect to 218.155.158.200 if the computer with that address has appropriate software to talk to incoming requests (programs such as Virtual Private Networking, pcAnywhere, etc) and appropriate permissions (firewall port forwarding hardware and software and appropriate privileges by the internet provider). You can't just bash 218.155.158.200 into somewhere and expect it to work.

2toes

2toes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I better clarify and thus will post part of the message I received:

Sometimes you may experience problems connecting to IGS Pandanet. If this is
the case, try the alternate port number, which is 7777, instead of 6969. You
may also try using the IP address, 210.155.158.200 6969. We recommend using
the IP numbers 210.155.158.200 6969 instead of the 'symbolic' (name address)
igs.joyjoy.net 6969

Example: telnet igs.joyjoy.net 7777
telnet 210.155.158.200 6969 (This is the IP address)
telnet 210.155.158.200 7777 (This is the IP address)

** Again, we recommend using the IP numbers 210.155.158.200 6969 instead of
the the 'symbolic' (name address) igs.joyjoy.net 6969

I have added the port to the progam via "network connections/local area connections/advanced/properties. I do not know if I should select "TCP" or "UDP".

Bob

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well.. if this helps udp is typically used for streaming media due to packet loss not stopping the transmission tcip is the de facto in data transmission and would probaly afford the least trouble