Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Documents and Settings acess on diff HD?

• Please log in to reply

Otach

Otach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, I'm currently moving a bunch of files from one Hard Drive to another, and most of my VITAL, VITAL files are under my user profile folder on the Hard Drive I can't use.

IE: C:/Documents and Settings/User

My "User" folder cannot be acessed from my other HD!! And I also cannot start windows on the Hard Drive with the vital files on it (which is why I'm transferring files in the first place)

How can I access that locked folder from my useable Hard Drive?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I assume you had the second drive in a previous system, and moved it to this new system...for whatever reason.

Was the original system WIndows XP Pro? And this new one is windows xp....home or pro?

Otach

Otach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, same system, Windows XP Home. I had problems acessing the old HD (I can't log in or anything at all) so I installed a new Windows XP home on a new hd, and am transferring files from my old HD onto my new HD.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Oh...ok...would have been easier the other way.....

OK, here is what I think is happening...In windows XP, files and folders are secured by what is known as an Access Control List.

Each person's profile is protected by the ACL

In windows xp prop, to gain control of such files you take ownership. In Home....never had to do this in home.....don't have a xp home system handy

Let's try the easy way...I have been told that the ACL function is not present in safe mode, so try that first, otherwise we need to use some commandline tools and I need to check if they are relevent in Home.....

So, reboot in safe mode and I will take a looksee

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, found something faster than I thought

Start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights....administrator will for sure (obviously)

If you did not set administrator account password, the password is blank (just hit enter with nothing in box)

Select the Documents and Settings folder on the other drive (right click), choose PROPERTIES

You will see a tab you have not seen before called SECURITY,

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab
In the Name list, click your user name (or click the add button and add your user account name), or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

To take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when it asks you if you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control

You shoudl be able to copy/move files at will, now

dave123

dave123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Gerry,

I suffered much the same problem outlined here and your advice worked perfectly for me. Thus i felt obliged to register and express my gratitute.

You are a legend!!!

Thanks,

Dave

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Glad to have helped....I always wanted to be a legend, but I can never seem to get beyond myth

Edited by gerryf, 14 April 2005 - 01:46 PM.