Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Performed clean installation of Windows XP on PC but why can't I c

• Please log in to reply

3hp12

3hp12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
So I tried the fdisk, formatted the hard disk, reinstalled windows xp..same result! I think I need to go searching for a win2000 install cd? Tried a couple of times, to no avail. I wiped the paritions with 98 boot disk, formatted HD as FAT32, reinstalled XP. When I install XP, everything seems to be going well until it asks to restart and then...black screen. Hmm, am I doing something wrong? I don't even have a 98 install CD so I can't even get that OS working either. I wonder if Win2000 will work better? I don't want to return my modem which has min requirements of Win 2000/XP (which is why I installed XP on this work computer in the first place...). Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Craig Parton

Craig Parton

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This system is definitely not ready for Windows XP. I would go with Windows ME or below. As for the modem its unlikely that it would be incompatible with Windows 9x but you may not be able to get those drivers for it. Post the modem manufacturer and part # and I'll check for you.

Edited by Craig Parton, 06 June 2007 - 09:32 PM.

3hp12

3hp12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had to take a break from all of this! So I did fdisk, wiped out partitions and formatted the hard drive. I tried to reinstall Win98. And no go! I have no idea what is going on. I get to the windows 98 startup menu and chose option 1 (start windows setup from CD-rom), gets to the blue screen with the setup options, it gets to the scandisk screen, get the message that setup is intializing...and then black screen. Is my computer dead?? Perhaps my fdisk wasn't done properly? Those instructions from microsoft website were quite convoluted to a newbie like me.. Are there some fdisk-format partitions-for-dummies instructions out there? I really don't want to call the $150/hour tech to fix this..but I feel like that is probably my only option...

Edit note: Sigh, looks like I've been doing everything right so far. I think I'm going to call the tech.. Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Edited by 3hp12, 11 June 2007 - 11:46 PM.