Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

passwords 'hijacked' by norton

• Please log in to reply

AvonBeckyC

AvonBeckyC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been a faithful Norton user for 8-10 years, but this last version really sucks - takes away ALL control from the user.
I am using NortonSystemWorks 2006 Premier & Password Manager on W-XP
Norton has become a resource-hog, and back in Feb after an update, I was no longer able to access some (many) links in emails or online. Sometimes I can type the link in the address bar and it will work (not often) and I am ALWAYS able to access these links from my laptop [which does NOT have Norton on it].
I want to dump Norton, but Password Manager has almost 300 passwords it in (I have been using it for 4-5 years).
I am pretty sure that I installed Password Manager as a separate install, but Norton tech says it will not run as a stand-alone product.
And they also tell me there is no way to get my passwords out, or install them in another program. And this morning the online chat-tech 'dumped' me :whistling: when I asked questions they gave me answers that did not fit the question, and on the last 2 questions she just typed 'is there anything else I can help you with?' and after I typed my question she typed 'thank you' and closed the chat?! [I was not rude or anything - just was trying to get help :/]

Can anyone help me :blink: Is there a way to run Password Manager alone? Is there a way to 'rescue' my passwords? Or will I need to request password replacement from EVERYone of the sites ?

I have 71 days left on my Norton subscription, and I do not intend to use it past that point (or maybe not even that long).

thanks,
Becky

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As far as [a broadsheet newspaper computer technician/journalist/help columnist] can see, there is no way to export your passwords to a plain text file. Using it therefore contravenes Schofield's First Law: never put data into a program unless you can see exactly how to get it out. Also, passwords ought to be associated with the site, not the browser. Even though Firefox probably didn't seem important when NPM 2004 was written, it looks like a flaw in the program that Symantec (which owns Norton) ought to fix. In the meantime, start retrieving your missing passwords. Websites will usually email your password if you say you have forgotten it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 June 2007 - 01:25 PM.

AvonBeckyC

AvonBeckyC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil.
I have already started going back to keeping a 'hard copy' of user id's and passwords in a [pen&paper] notebook on my [wooden] desktop :whistling:
No more Norton for me - I am going strictly avast :blink:

Becky