Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC STILL Randomly locking up :(

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
for pics ill upload em and give you a hotlink ill do it in your PM ok?

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
tested the memory no errors

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok wannabe1-did you get pics and i did ram stuff no errors...suggestions?

Edited by nic777, 04 June 2007 - 09:56 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I can't tell from the pictures...is the mobo mounted on standoffs?

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
yea i think that's what you call them the gold spikes that you screw in then make the screws go in

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
im gona un-sauder this home-made over clocking jumper and see what gives :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

*wannabe1 goes to look at all the pictures again

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
lol letme see if i can get you a closer pic of teh sauder job :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How far did that jump overclock you, do you know?

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey wannabe1 :blink: , I just found this thread and seen how you and others have been assisting my son. Thank you VERY MUCH! I haven't looked at it since he had me help put the board in. The grey beast server 3.6 duo core is like flying a stealth. Back to these Terminator boards he has were a special board for ASUS special cases that had digital clocks etc on face cover. http://www.serpentin...-TULATIN/Detail supplier of terminator replacemt boards. The boards were not available via retail. schematics were hard to get since not on asus support by board's part number. see link Notice rear jacks I/O plate had to be modified to make PCI slots line up with universal aftermarket case. 3M premium real rubber tape was used to protect backside of mobo and has a comfortable 1/4" clearance behind. We built two and other one was sold to brother-inlaws family 3 months back and has never had a problem yet @ their house on daily use. Son, I think you should get your dad to come down in your room with the fluke meter with the thermal pickup to confirm these temps/volts. Hey he just turned 13 last week, you know how they shun their dad. But dad is hardware, nic is awsome software/programmer self taught from this site & google. Both terminator boards were bench tested after soldered overclocking all was well. Nic, lets pull your mobo & see if a hdd screw rolled under it and may be caught between printed curcuit and case. When I soldered the bridge it became a PCI speed of 36, ram speed of 133 (make sure you don't have pc100 in it, nic) and CPU BUS speed of 105(very safe with tulatin). Due to being a dedicated board clocking options were not possible without soldering jumpers where none (pins) were located. Since the other one is working fine we need to find a possible short. By having access to the twin we can compare temps and volts. Let me check hardware then you all can go back to that programming stuff that's over my head. I believe SDRAM voltage and Processor core voltage can be changed on these boards via MOBO jumpers instead of in the BIOS. I was able to find the manual on ASUS Support by using "terminator" name instead of part number. Nic is presistant and his new Green Machine looks nice, Teach him more guys, I need his help and training every week. His ability with XP is why I haven't been on here much. I have found that celeron tulatins are very durable and stable when overclocked (1.4 @ 1.611GHz) and hotter temps than AMD athlons. If I can't find it in hardware he will have to continue with you guys talking over my head. BTW, I'm still a licensed electrician not a programer. Thanks Guys!!! He will post back with results. Crunch :whistling: Still best site ever and glad to see all of you helping my son learn more! By soldering there were only four options, one was underclocking, two were too high of PCI speed. So only one we used fell within limits.

Edited by crunch, 06 June 2007 - 01:45 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Heya crunch...

Break out the fluke meter and find yourself an internal ground for the PSU...either on the 20 pin or one of the 4 pin molex connectors. Use that for ground reference and then use the other probe to see if there is any voltage seeping to the chassis. Then ohm it out the same way...there should be no voltage on the first check and no (or very little) resistance on the second.

Here's a Good Guide for running a power on PSU check using a voltmeter and Prime 95 to put a load on the processor.

The 12v rail is taking the biggest hit from the looks of things, but all the voltages are effected to some extent...providing the information shown in SpeedFan is correct. There's also something causing the HDD to run a little too hot...this could be related to the low voltages, but make sure the HDD is getting good airflow.

Let us know what you find...

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok, up till 2 A.M.-my dad and I checked for faults on the mobo ide's ram etc overall we, Added a fan infront of the HD,removed a piece of bubble wrap form the processor pin,vise-versa the ram slots moved the hd up one slot,my dad fixed my color fan - replaced it with my OLD powersupply color fan, messed around in the bois-going to test it today will post results and for a poll- How many of you say a piece of bubble wrap on a processor pin can cause lockups?
Yes-1<---:)that'd be a miracle
No-0

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Also-what is the speedfan reading that when you minimise it goes to the tray a temp. what temp does that go to?

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Sigh sad to say lockup-I'll keep a log
Lockup-10:13-IE7 with this G2G and msn messenger7.5

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
nic, that lower rite temp is representing the cpu temp, it is not accurate as it relies on same temp sensor used by bios post that we see in bios. After reseating cpu and doing a carbon contact print it is good. The hdd is deffinantly too hot as the fluke indicates. The CPU is only 10 degrees above ambient @ 87 F. Very cool considering celerons tulatin's tolerance for heat and overclocking. we run the 1.4 @ 1.611 and the 1.3s @ 1.45mhz no probs. volts flux frequently but also last nite never got too low. CPU core volts remained steady @ 1.5, ram average 3.3v 12 volt rail varied from 11.96 to 14. you have watch the 12volt neg vs the 12 volt pos to notice a constant remaining very close to 12 volts between the two. the difference between the 2 is what I referring to. Altough they flux constantly there remains 12 difference between them. Lets have others comment, please.