Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

breaking things

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hi Guys, I think the best way to learn things is by actually fixing them. I have a win nt 4.0, 2000 server and a win98 SE machines. Can you people come up with things that I can do to harm my system to the point where I have to figure out how to fix them, please. Just simple stuff to start with. These are all test machines that I can play with. I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
uh bruinaholic :whistling: one of the ways i learned the little i am able to retain is a game called : i wonder what this file does"? and right click on delete. its a beautiful thing to delete a file and watch your screen fade to black. try it

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you want to learn how to fix things, the worst thing you can do is break them yourself because you'll know how it was done.
It's far more fun to get somebody else (the more computer illiterate they are the better) to break it, as they'll quite often break it in ways you didn't even know how.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
This is a good one:

Boot up in a Gparted Live CD (google it, it's free to download), create a second partition on your system drive in the free space. Move your system partition to the second partition.
Set the second patition as bootable (active), then set the first partition as non bootable (non active)

Then restart the machine boot to a windows/linux OS installation CD,
Install the new OS to the First partition (where your system used to be before you moved t to the second partition), then restart the machine and try get it to boot to the Original OS (ie, your Win 98 installation), without the help of a bootloader.
I did all of the above and trashed my system for about a month before I fixed it.
You try,
Good luck,
daffy_elmo

(My specialty is breaking things in an expert kind of way, usually on other peoples computers!)

Edited by daffy_elmo, 04 June 2007 - 03:38 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
give the computer to a teenager.....then give it internet access...it'll be broken in an hour

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

give the computer to a teenager.....then give it internet access...it'll be broken in an hour

LMAO....too funny and true.