Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp. shuts down & restarts during dial up

• Please log in to reply

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me please. I have a computer running XP. It is on a wireless network using broadband and works fine. My husband has to sometimes connect to his works network, to do this we have to use a dial-up connection and it rings us back. This has been working perfectly well until yesterday. Now we get as far as verifing user name and password and then the computer goes blank and restarts. I tried to log in to a dial up isp to see if that worked but the same thing happened.

I have run Trend Micros' Housecall, Ad-aware and my usual anti-virus program Kaspersky but all have found nothing.

The only things I have done since we last managed to connect to it are:-

Download MSN Messenger 7 - which I have since uninstalled incase that was the problem but no such luck.

Updated my Kaspersky with a new version as the previous one had expired. Could this be the problem?

Any help would or advice would be gratefully received as we really need to access this connection.

Many thanks

Michele

Advertisements

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Still no luck but I have noticed computer actually shuts down and automatically restarts when it gets to the bit where it says "registering your computer on the network" then the screen goes black and computer restarts.

I don't know if that helps anyone. :tazz:

I tried it having disabled Zone Alarm and Kasperky but it still happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michele