Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updated to IE7, Now hangs on search

• Please log in to reply

Gushwa

Gushwa

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
:whistling: Hi forum, I'm sorry, but I tried not to bother anybody by first searching for my problem, but after several hours of searching, I couldn't find the same thing happening to others. I have XP Pro w.sp2, and office XP. About a week ago, I updated from the microsoft site, It loaded IE7 plus several updates to Office XP includeing SP3 to office.( I have SP2 on XP PRO). Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but everything was working fine till then. The problem: I open IE7, and it goes to my homepage, and everything seems ok, until I type in a search word either in the google toolbar search box, or windows live toolbar search box, I hit enter, then the page freezes, and my cursor dissapears. The same exact thing happens, if I open my favorites, and click on any URL. Then the only way out is ctrl+alt+del, end program. When I search from my MSN home page, it works just fine. I tried removeing the google toolbar program, but to no avail, (when I searched with the win live box, it froze, with google bar gone), so I reinstalled it. I ran registry Mechanic, it fixed many things, but the problem persisted. Avast antivirus, found nothing, but today, as I downloaded something, it said it found a virus, I tried to delete it, but avast said, it could not, so I moved/renamed? AVG spyware, nothing but cookies. Spybot S&D, cookies, & Ad-aware, cookies & several MRU? I'm not sure which one of the last two, (Spybot, or Ad-aware), but after I ran it, the problem was gone. That was yesterday, but today it was back, exactly as before. Also, the point where avast said it found the virus was today, as I was trying to fix it. I've since ran all the scans again, but no repair. I did a system restore to May 1st., but I lost a lot of programs, and my avast registration, was expired(pre-registered). So I undid the restore, and did a new system restore to May 25th.(just before the updates to microsoft were done). Presto! Problem Gone! But now my tray keeps telling me that I have updates, and I believe they are important. What do I do? Please Help, and Thank You for your time. :blink:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
turn off system restore then run all your spybots an avast, fix all registry errors, defrag make sure everythings cleaned up and out of your pc. get the suggested updates, create a new restore point named brand new or something and see if that helps