Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making a copy of MS Office?

• Please log in to reply

rkell

rkell

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After having had a virus, I had to wipe my hard drive clean and used the system disc that came with the computer.

I did have MS Office (2005 I think) but I have lost the disc, cover etc.

I do however have a copy of it installed on my laptop.
I THINK I also made a backup for my PC onto an external hard drive, but cannot be too sure - I cannot find anything on the hard-drive I used (if I did).

I am wondering :

1. Is there any wya of getting my copy of Office from my laptop to the desktop?

As you may gather, my technical knowledge is not brilliant so idiot proof answer pls!

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

1. Is there any wya of getting my copy of Office from my laptop to the desktop?

nope...but do you have the office disks that came with the laptop? the microsoft office EULA (End User License Agreement) has a statement in it allowing you to install and activate a SINGLE copy of microsoft office on one (1) mobile PC (laptop or tablet or whatever you concider mobile) and one (1) Desktop PC...so if you have the disks and COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) from the installation on y our laptop..you can legally use it on your desktop

rkell

rkell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't - it was the same disc I used to install on both of them.

I do have the licence key number - would that be any use at all?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...you should be able to use that license key with any other office disk of the same version