Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal Hard Drive not Formatted (D Drive)

• Please log in to reply

uwrite2me

uwrite2me

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a problem with one of my hard disks.

I don't know why and how I got this problem; I wasn't doing anything special with my computer. Everything was working perfectly on Friday and when I opened on Saturday my D Drive not found.
Now my (D:) has no name anymore, just says "local disk", and when I try to open it I get this message: "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

When I look in disk management it says that D is healthy but it no longer has any file system.

I have some really important data on (D:) so I'd really like to get it back. Is there some way to fix this problem easily, or do I have to format the hard drive and loose my data or should I reinstall Windows to see if it would see this drive again. Please help me!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What happens if you run Scandisk on it?

It may well be that the drive is giving up the ghost. It's possible that your file allocation table and partition table (two databases that tell Windows where to find all the files on the disk as well as how the disk is laid out) are corrupt because the drive is on the way out.

You may be able to use filerecovery software but if the drive has mechanical issues, its a fruitless exercise.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
so am i reading this correctly.. / drive d is now drive f? did drive d have a operating system on it to begin with? or just your data?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
open your event viewer click application click on the source colum heading look for application error make note of the event id then double click. run the chkdsk / f command

uwrite2me

uwrite2me

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was running a demo tool "Partion table doctor" and it says there is one problem at boot sector of drive D (it is showing drive D only, my mistake to write as F). It is asking to download the full version for 69.99 for the software to fix this issue. Since I am Naive in the computers, I use this to store pictures and videos and my financial information only. All of my videos and pictures for last six years are in this drive.
I will check the event viewer tonight and try to get an answer/details for you guys to help me. In the mean time if you have any experience with this software, do you think is this worth trying or no. If there is any way to restore my data, I am willing to reinstall windows 2K or upgrade to WInXP.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
not yet. do not delete, reformat,undo anything and hold off on that 70 dollar investment