Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Record of Processor replacement

• Please log in to reply

n230099

n230099

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Using Belarc Advisor I've detected a change in my processor from a 1.4g to 600MHZ. I had some work done where a new 512 card was needed and put in. The change in processors, from the dates of my Belarc reports, and the fact that this was the only work done where the computer was not under my control, indicate that it must have been done at the time of the memory changeout. There is no way to "prove" they did this but if there was a retrieve a report showing the date of the processor swap, I'd have a way to show them the event and date matching my receipt for the memory work they did. Almost a year has elapsed until I detected it this morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Fallen_Milkman

Fallen_Milkman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So you're thinking they swapped processors on you? Have you tried any other applications to see if they show the same results as Belarc? What kind of Motherboard/processor did you have before?

n230099

n230099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It appears to me that the processor is different according to BelArc. I'm not familiar with any other programs that do this type of detection but would like to run one for verification. I'm reasonably saavy but not confident enough to barge in and accuse someone of something like this. The receipt I have simply shows the 512 card change out. We neither discussed nor am I aware of any reason to do this. I have the original packing slip showing the 1.4G Intel Proc as well as a year old BelArc showing it. The board, if I understand your question is a ASUSTek M3N 1.0 and there's been no change there. Thanks for writing back.

n230099

n230099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, Fallen Milkman's reply got me to looking at another diagnostic tool. I found PC wizard and ran it. Its inventory shows my 1.4G processor running at 600MHZ. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I don't think I'll barge into the store yelling today. Thanks for all responses.

Fallen_Milkman

Fallen_Milkman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
*edit* nevermind lol

Edited by Fallen_Milkman, 06 June 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are using an AMD then some of them reduce their clock speed during "idle" times to become more energy efficient. Try running belarc while your CPU is under a load such as running a virus scan.