Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with windows media player

• Please log in to reply

Sly

Sly

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello.

Ever since I've reinstalled windows XP pro. I've gotten problems to see stream videos (in the web) with WMP (version 11).

Sometimes it buffers till it's 100% but then nothing happens. It says it's playing but nothing shows (and no sound).
and sometimes I can only see the picture but no sound.

I have all the DivX/Xvid codecs and AC3filter installed. I have also no proxy server, only XP's own firewall which is on "exceptations". That is to say, everytime I want to use a new software (like MSN messanger), it gives me an allert to open a port for it. It didn't give me any allert for WMP so I thought it should work automatically, WMP being from MS and all.

Also the internet security level is on "medium-high".

What to do? :whistling:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello sly open up your device manager on your computer an and open up your sound and game contollers. look for the video codecs section right click and select properties. look for you divX codec and highlite that the properties dialog should lite up.select it see what version it is. if its 5.1or lower then update it to 6.1 do not use the update driver feature just go to divX web site and install it your self. its an exe file so its self deployed.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
also make sure your internet settings in wmp are set correctly click configure in all protocol boxes. that the allow player to stream all media box is checked, and in the area below that, high lite each protocol that is listed and click the configure button. sometimes you have to do each protocol one at a time look at your fire wall settings to see if theres a listing for the port that wmp is using configure accordingly. the http is auto, set any other to use proxy settings of the web broswer

Edited by krmooo, 07 June 2007 - 07:29 AM.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Wel, my Divx is 6.6.1 version so no problems there.

Also wmp wasn't included in the firewall exceptations list. But I added it manually and added the port but no changes.

Where do I find the protocol boxes to click configure again?

Thanks for your reply.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
open your media player right under the now playing tab thers a drop down( look for the arrow) look for more options. on the network tab select it.there you'll find protocols

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your reply.
Tried everything you said but it's still the same. No change! :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is there a crash bucket generated ? look in you event viewer under applications also the url, or is it any web site. the crash bucket is important to pin point what went or should i say what is going wrong

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you might try disabling i/e's proxy settingw to prevent wmp from using them, and forcing it to use its own