Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where's all that HDD space?

• Please log in to reply

ArkadyGr

ArkadyGr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all. I am a bit confused.

My C Drives total space reported by Windows (XP) is 20.5 GB (NTFS). Used space is shown in the amount of 7.44 GB and Free Space is 13 GB. When I go into my C drive and select all the folders and files in C:\ and then check properties it reports the amount of around 3.3 GB. What in the world eats up another 4 or so Gigs?! I understand that some space is taken for page file and restore points and hybernation, and things of that nature, although i am under impresion that all of that has to still be reported, but even if not - 4 Gigs is not a needle. Hidden files are on. All items are selcted (hidden included) in the C:\ and the difference between the size reported by the properties of all selected items in the C:\ drive and the one reported by C:\ drive properties itself is 4 GB in favore of the latter.

Please shed some light

Thanks in advance for anyones timeand input.

Edited by ArkadyGr, 09 April 2005 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

thegorx

thegorx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
the System Volume Information folder is where your restore points are
but if you were to right click on it an select properties I'm guessing it would report 0kb which is more than likely way off.

to find out you'll have to get access

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

or if you satisfied with the way things are runnning you could clean up restore points using

Disk Cleanup
More options -> system restore cleanup

ArkadyGr

ArkadyGr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually i have alredy figured it out ... i fogot to display the OS file. Once I did everything adds up :tazz: