Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oxc0000094 Error; My external HD is Inaccessible

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
June 8, 2007

Hi Again,

I have an external hard drive (a 250 GB internal inside an external casing) connected to PC via USB port. It is a storage library.

After installing an old pre-XP USB driver for an old digital camera -- this is the only thing I did out of the ordinary -- I find I cannot access my external drive files without bumping into an error message: Oxc0000094.

Would like to be able to access material on this drive as needed. Did a CheckDisk on reboot.....and it gets to 98% of the data verification step (4 of 5), then sticks for hours. Manually shut down and reboot, tried it again - same result : stuck at 98%.

I uninstalled the USB driver (an old app) and searched the camera mfg'r's web site for updates - there were none.

Haven't yet tried a system restore....would like to avoid it if possible....that never seemed to work for me. Wonder what other ways to make that drive and it's contents accessible again without a shut-down by explorer.exe for Oxc0000094 error.

Thanks in Advance - you always have the answers!!

-scottportraits

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try and reinstall the usb driver of the motherboard.
From my experiance after installing an older usb driver it changes some drivers in the system/regestry that makes it compatable to older devices. But this is not the ideal driver. The original one was installed when the computer was setup.
Tell us if it worked.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
July 6

Hello Vally,

I got a new hard drive case-enclosure gadget for the 250 GB storage library I was telling you about. Unlike the cheaper previous enclosure gadget I am having trouble getting my XP OS to recognize the driver for this new 'USB Device'. Actually, the new found hardware wizard detects it when I turn it on, but I get an error message that the software (driver) may not be properly installed.

I see it recognized as the yellow 'USB Device' in the Device Manager, and it has a yellow exclamation point and question mark icon next to the text 'USB Device'.

Under 'Device Properties' it says : Status: This device is not configured correctly (Code 1). There is a reinstall button which opens the same hardware installation wizard you see whenever you go to Control Panel > Add Hardware . The wizard searches for the device, then says it failed to find the software....

I tried to uninstall and re-install the driver, but it wouldn't work; get the same messages. The PC recognizes the external HD, because it ding-dong's when I turn it on and off. The CD that came with it has no 'Driver' file except for Windows 98 SE.

It is supposed to be Plug-and-Play for XP....that is, XP is supposed to have the drivers for USB plug-and-play devices, right ?? Where are these files, under C:/WINDOWS/System ??? Didn't find 'em there. Hhhhmmmmmmmm....

How would you go about reinstalling the driver for the entire motherboard ? Seems a little drastic, isn't there another solution ??

Thanks,

- Scottportraits