Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

choosing a laptop

• Please log in to reply

mannyz

mannyz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi everyone,

looking for advice,

wanting to purchase my first laptop and looking for something inexpensive for school, internet surfing any maybe a game or two once in a while

if anyone can enlighten me, or offer your opinion on the following choices i have looked over

1. what are the major differences in choosing a AMD 64 x2 TL-50 over a Pentium T5600 core 2 duo for example

2. considering the following:
a. Compaq presario 6310 with an AMD TL-50, 1 gig ram, 100 gig 5400 rpm HD---------and nvidia 6150 video card
b. Dell inspiron 1501 with TL-60, 1 gig ram, 120 gig 5400 rpm HD-------------------------and radeon express 1150 vc
c. Dell inspiron 1505 with pentium core 2 duo T7200, 80 gig 5400 rpm HD 1 gig ram---and radeon x1400 vc

each is progressively more expensive as listed.

comments and suggestions are welcomed,

Thank you.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Core2duo is a more recent processor and quicker (more efficiant) per clock then older generations. It is for this reason that they are more expensive then the turions which were released quite a while back. If your gaming I strongly recommend the Core2duo, otherwise you won't notice a difference between the two processors.
For vista you need 2GB of ram.
If your gaming, don't get a laptop with less then x1600 or geforcego 7600.
James

Edited for spelling mistakes that could confused people :whistling:

Edited by james_8970, 09 June 2007 - 12:30 PM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I personally do not like Dell computers because I feel that they are poorly manufactured. I have worked with many of them and they seem to be harder to repair and tend to run slower, no matter what. If you are going to buy a laptop, take James' advice into account so that you are able to play games and use the other features that you want. See if you can upgrade the RAM and the Video Card in the Inspiron 1505 so that it has at least the 2GB of RAM and x1600 of GeForce Go 7600. I'm assuming this is the laptop you are referring to.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Graphic cards arn't easy to upgrade in laptops and I strongly recommend that you buy a laptop with the video card you like. Don't attempt to upgrade a graphics card in a laptop to many things can go wrong.
James

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
one of the biggest problems in upgrading a video card in a laptop is the heat. when they manufacture your laptop, they know the general heat output of it, and adjust the video card and cooling methods accordingly. but when you add your own, youre adding heat that the system might not be able to deal with.