Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nintendo WiFi USB Connector problem

• Please log in to reply

Forte

Forte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A while back (late 2005, I think) I purchased a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector to enable online play using my DS, and later, my Wii. However, I have recently discovered that it causes my computer to freeze. I am pretty sure of this because when I have it active, hours later (in the worst of cases, minutes) my computer will freeze, but my computer has not frozen since I disabled it.

Of course, that almost seems like a solution, to just disable it and use it when I need it, but it's freezing isn't something I can time, so I never know how long I can leave it on, and aside from that, constantly enabling it like that could cause damage to it.

I have checked my system error logs, and it has on occasion given an error from the same IP address as my connector, the description is as follows.

The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address 192.168.1.1, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope.

At first, this problem seemed easy enough to solve, simply switch the IP address on the connector, an while that does work, for some reason, the Wii and DS refuse to pick up on it with a new IP. Another problem is that my main internet connection through my cable modem is automatically assigned, so I have no power to change that and keep internet connection, so that kicks another possible solution.

To avoid confusion like this has created on another board, the freezing is not limited to the internet. This affects my entire computer. I cannot move my mouse, Ctrl Alt Delete doesn't work, my only option is to reset using the reset button or hold the power button for 10 seconds.

So has anyone had this problem and fixed it, or can anyone supply me with possible fixes for this? Any help is appreciated!

Advertisements