Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbnails not displaying properly in XP's Explorer

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have a list of movies in a folder on Windows XP (SP2 with all updates). When I have the view set to "thumbnails," there are 7 files that don't show the thumbnail of the movie, but rather the type of file icon. At first, I thought it was a codec problem, but the movies that don't display the thumbnail play fine. Then I decided to delete the "thumbs.db" file in the folder so it would refind all the thumbnails, but still those same 7 files don't display a thumbnail.

I used to have "K-Lite Codec Pack v3.10" installed on my computer, but it was giving me some problems, so I uninstalled it and installed "XP Codec Pack v2.0.7.1." The problem with the thumbnails, however, has been ocurring even when I had K-Lite installed. It started only a couple weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Diggeryo,

Take a trip over to Kelly's Korner

Find row 17 Restore Thumbnail Views in XP.

Download and run.

Does this fix your issue?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't fix the problem.

Just to point out...it's not any one type of file that this is happening to. Of the files whose thumbnails aren't displaying correctly, some are WMV, some are AVI, and some are MPG. But on the other hand, I have movies of the same 3 files types in the same folder whose thumbnails are displaying properly.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is there a red x where the thumb nail should be? look in your add and remove programs and see if theres a progeam called j-bots 2002. if its there remove it and go to there web site to get the latest jbot.dll. www.websunlimited.com if you dont have it we'll go to method 4 :whistling:

Edited by krmooo, 08 June 2007 - 09:15 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi krmooo,

No, it's not displaying a red X. In the place where the thumbnail should be is a picture of the icon of whatever file type that file is. I checked my Add/Remove Programs anyway, and there is no mention of "j-bots."

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Mike.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well thats a very big helpfull hint . lets see if we can get some type if file assoc going.of course it would help perhaps if i knew the file ext but lets give it a shot . first of all we have to determine if this file type is associated with any programs on your computer. on the tools menu on my computer or explorer click floder options..click the view tab. clear the hide extensions for known file types check box. right click the file with the .ext you want to change and then click open with. in the open with box, click the program you want the file to open or click browse to locate the program that you want to open. select the always use the selected program to open this type of file. now...if this file is not associated with any programs on your computer click open or double click the file. xp will display a dialog box that says there is no program associated with this file. 2 options will be given to you.look for it on the web or choose a program from a list. unless you want to go to the web and look for a program then pick that option. if not then select the program from a list. you'll see a available list to choose from pick it an then select the always use this program to open this type of file....if you decide to look for a program on the web to open the file.heres a link to determine what the ext is and what program opens it file ext

Edited by krmooo, 09 June 2007 - 10:24 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
The problem is occurring to multiple file types. I stated them in one of my above posts--WMV, AVI, MPG--but as I said, it's not happening to all files with those extensions, only some of them. Again, the files are playing fine--I double click on them and they play with no problem--it's the thumbnails that I am experiencing problems with.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
click start>run>REGSVR32 SHMEDIA.DLL ok. that should correct it. if it doesnt then inspect the file association settings.