Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new mobo and keyboard

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello. I recently bought a 8800 GTX and wanted to get a new mobo as well. The old one I had was msi k8n neo 4 platinum. My processor is AMD X2 4400 and it is socket 939. Can you recommend a good cpu heatsink and a new mobo for me. Should I just get my old mobo or is there a better deal out there. For the heatsink, I heard that ZALMAN was a good company, but which ZALMAN should I get? Also, I was thinking about getting a new keyboard as well; the purpose of the keyboard will be to game and stuff. I don't want anything over $100 for the mobo. I do not wish to overclock anything. Thanks for the help.

I am thinking about getting this heatsink.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118223

This keyboard.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16823175103

And possibly this mobo.
http://www.newegg.co...82E16813136159R

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by cheema, 08 June 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you don't plan to overclock then you will not need a $45 zalman cooler. The stock cooler should be fine.

That MOBO will not come with a i/o pad, cables, drivers cd, etc. Also DFI isn't known for high quality stuff. Socket 939 has been outdone by the AM2 which is also cheaper. Is there a certain reason you got rid of your other board?

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Water came into my pc and fried my gfx card (512 mb x1900xt). Now, I am not sure about what works on my mobo and what doesn't. I don't want to take the chance of putting the 8800 gtx into the pci-e slot and have it fried (I would be $560 in the hole then). I just want to take it safe and change the whole mobo. I said socket 939 for mobo because I thought my processor, amd x2 4400, would only fit into a 939 socket mobo. If it can fit into the new am2 socket then I might just get one of those mobo's. So my question is, can a amd x2 4400 fit into the new am2 socket?

Also, I won't get the heatsink because I don't plan on overclocking. Thanks for the help.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Your processor is only going to fit into one socket type, either 939 or AM2. If your prior mobo was 939 then the new one will need to be 939 as well in order to use the CPU you already have.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thank you. Are there any socket 939 mobo's out there that you recommend?

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I don't need a mobo anymore. I took the chance and put the gfx card in the mobo and it worked. Phew. Thanks for the help guys.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad to hear :whistling:.