Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Track following error

• Please log in to reply

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm using Nero 6, and anytime I try to burn a CD-R, I keep getting a "track following error" no matter what brand of CD-R I use. I've tried 3 different brands now, including TDK and Sony.

Now Nero's help suggests that I switch the brand of CD or that my hardware may be faulty or may be in need of cleaning. I'm not sure. I can write to a CD-RW just fine, I don't think that the drive has problems. It's less than 1 year old.

I have no idea why I keep getting this error, then. Any help would be nice.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try burning at a slower speed...thats probably why it will burn R/W ...they aotomaticlly burn at a slower speed...you also want to make sure you buy media thats rated at 48x or 52x so that the burner is the speed limiter and not the media...
also go to the drive manufactures website and get any updated drivers or firmware for your make and model...sometimes that will help ....

Edited by happyrck, 08 June 2007 - 06:47 PM.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I killed all my blanks (all of which were rated up to 48x) trying to see what was wrong, but tomorrow I'll get a few more and try them at a lower speed. This time I'll make sure to simulate the burn first, maybe that might show something that I might be missing. At the same time it won't be actually writing and messing up a perfectly good blank.

Thanks. I'll see what happens when I try again and post what happens, good or bad.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, after simulating a burn at a (much) slower speed, things appear to be working. I'll actually write to the blank now and see if it works, but it should.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
buy some CD-RW and DVD-RW to use for testing...if its a bad burn ..no problem ..just reformat and try..try again