Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bargin

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello :whistling:
-Back in the day I remember geekstogo having a bargain link, on the first page I believe. I think it'd be interesting to add this again somewhere on the site. Then again I probably is somewhere around here and I'm just being blind again.
-Also I want to say the adds look much cleaner, better and more organized then googleads, never been fond of them, to plain and quickly put together.
-Like the geek definition at the top to fill the void that was once there.
I made a mistake in the title, is there no way anymore to edit the title under full edit?
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We used to have a partnership with gottadeal.com (geekstogo.gottadeal.com - no longer active). It's possible we may do something again in the future.

Ads have been removed for members, (shown only to guests) and will likely remain that way. However, we'll continue to experiment with them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Ads have been removed for members, (shown only to guests) and will likely remain that way. However, we'll continue to experiment with them.

Hmm, I like that idea even more :whistling: They seem to become more and more intrusives on other forums lately. Good old adblock from firefox :blink:
James

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
While I agree it's nice to be able offer an ad-free experience to members, the reason they're easy to remove is that they perform poorly. A very small percentage of members click on ads. About 0.2% (or about 2 clicks for every 1,000 ads). Visitors are simply more likely to click an ad.

Blocking ads is a personal preference, but understand that sites like this are expensive to operate, and without ad revenue, many free sites would likely not exist. If everyone used ad blockers, the Internet as we know it would change greatly. Advertising done well should be non-obtrusive, and in the case of context relevant text ads (targeting ads to the context of the page, and even your local market) they're much more likely to provide advertising you may find valuable.

The biggest reason ads have become more obtrusive is partly because more people are using ad blockers, but mostly because like the banner ads before them, people are becoming increasingly blind to text ads (like Google's). Fewer people clicking on ads spurs more advertising to try maintain revenue. Also, advertisers like the larger ad formats (like rectangles) because it allows them to display newer video ads.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Blocking ads is a personal preference, but understand that sites like this are expensive to operate, and without ad revenue, many free sites would likely not exist. If everyone used ad blockers, the Internet as we know it would change greatly. Advertising done well should be non-obtrusive, and in the case of context relevant text ads (targeting ads to the context of the page, and even your local market) they're much more likely to provide advertising you may find valuable.

I fully understand this, which is why we need good services for donations to fund upkeep and sever costs of the site instead of the adds.
Google adds are to boring, I'm honestly surprised that people click them.
Just out of curiosity are users now unable to edit the title?
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 09:42 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You seem to have an idealistic view of an Internet without advertising. Some sites are successful being funded with donations. However, donations here go the helpers. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever.

You're a member, so you're not even seeing ads anymore. What's the problem? No one is asking anyone to click on an ad, or even view them. Only if and when there is relevant information and a reader is interested in more information should they click an ad. Interesting how you started the topic praising new banner ads we were testing, but got negative when it turns to Google ads. I can't resolve any issues you have with Google. Perhaps you can take it up with them. :whistling:

I'm not going to debate advertising policies of this site with you, and this topic has strayed far off course. I'm very close to closing it, but I'll give you a last chance to respond.

P.S. I fixed the title editing problem.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

You seem to have an idealistic view of an Internet without advertising.

It'd be nice, but it'd be like TV without ads, you'd have to pay to be a member to great forums such as these if donations couldn't keep up with the costs associated with the site, like you said the Internet would be greatly changed from what we currently see.

You're a member, so you're not even seeing ads anymore. What's the problem? No one is asking anyone to click on an ad, or even view them. Only if and when there is relevant information and a reader is interested in more information should they click an ad. Interesting how you started the topic praising new banner ads we were testing, but got negative when it turns to Google ads. I can't resolve any issues you have with Google. Perhaps you can take it up with them. :blink:

I'm not going to debate advertising policies of this site with you, and this topic has strayed far off course. I'm very close to closing it, but I'll give you a last chance to respond.

P.S. I fixed the title editing problem.

Sorry I'm not here to debate the ad system either. Just want to clarify, I appreciate your views on how the adds don't appear for members. :)
Actually I liked the adds at the top (not the googles ones), it looked clean and neat, it's when Google adds are posted in in people posts that I find annoying, something that has absolutely nothing to do with this site as I have never seen it here. I was complaining about other sites in the suggestions topic for this site, don't ask something I think I'm going crazy as well.

I thought both worked here, donations to the helpers as well as donations to the site which ever one pleased. Never knew we were independently funded by adds.

I was just getting off topic as I usually do, google adds, I just find them boring. :help:
....There I go again.

Thanx for allowing us to fix the titles again :help:

Keep up the good work with the site, you continue to do a great job of changing the site in new and more interesting ways, like the profiles now, more customizable and fun to use :whistling:

James

Edited by james_8970, 11 June 2007 - 02:53 PM.