Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Desktop to buy?

• Please log in to reply

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I am trying to assist my grandparents in buying a new computer to replace their Gateway 2000 with Windows 98 on it(ancient!). I have a few specifics: It needs to have EVERYTHING! (monitor,tower,mouse,keyboard) Preferably a Hewlett Packard with Windows XP SP2 (or Windows Vista). It needs at least 60GB hard drive, preferably 512mb ram. They use it for email, browsing web and small basic needs. It needs to have a DVD/ CD Burner. It needs to be $800 or under. Any links to something like that would be appreciated or any other computer recommended would also be helpful.

Edited by leedownen123, 10 June 2007 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For that sort of thing it would be best to check for deals at local computer stores. Many times they have sales and "combo" deals that would work well with what you need. If you plan to get a vista machine (which most sold probably are now) I recommend 1gb of memory. You should easily be able to get this still within your price range. Also I assume you prefer HP because of experience with it but don't be afraid to grab a deal from Dell or Acer but I would stay away from the "value" brands such as Compaq and E-Machines.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
What do you think about something such as this: Click Here

Should I assume this includes a keyboard and mouse?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For the needs that they have for a computer it might actually be a bit of overkill. It will come with the mouse and keyboard shown in the picture. I don't like the monitor that comes with it. You say it is for your grandparents so I would assume that they would like something easier to read.

I know you specified HP but when I had a look around Best Buy this is what caught my eye: http://www.bestbuy.c...mprd72900050007.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
That is a very good one for them! I configured shipping and tax and it is $805.75, so that is a good price for them. I will talk to them about an Acer, and I think they will go for it. Thank you for your assistance, and I will post results of whatever they decide.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
May I suggest checking at a local store before you buy online. If they have it there then you don't have to deal with shipping costs and they'll likely be more helpful because you bought it there.
James

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes I was thinking I will try a local store. There is one in Jackson,TN that is like 30 min. away from my grandparents, so they will probably want that to save the $50 on shipping and buy it at the store.